mapping keys from a Thrustmaster TH8 RS Shifter

conticreative

mapping keys from a Thrustmaster TH8 RS Shifter

Post by conticreative »

I just purchased a Thrustmaster TH8 RS Shifter and unfortunately no matter what I do it loads as the very first controller in my chain.
I purchased Xpadder so I can have better control over my controllers but I run in a tiny snag: when I map the shifter to the keyboard, it keeps pressing the same key over and over (at least it does in notepad) which is not desirable.

In my case all I want is to be able to place the lever in one of the 8 positions, have it press a key once and then once again another key when I move it out of the position instead of keeping the key pressed forever.

I tried almost every combo I could think of but the best I was able to do was to set up a timer so that the the next key press would happen in a very long time. I cannot believe that's how it's done. There has to be a way to simulate one button press=one key press.

The next thing I want to accomplish is to simply map the button box to a number of keys. Then map my racing games to the same keys. Again, I would like one push=one key press. In some cases, it would be useful to press one key when pushing and another when releasing the button, but in no instance I want the key to remain pressed and type a bunch of aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa like that. I am not shooting anyone. I am changing gears or turning on my headlights.

Thank you for your help.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: mapping keys from a Thrustmaster TH8 RS Shifter

Post by Jonathan »

You can alter the controller detection order in the Xpadder settings window (controllers section). You can also plug it into another USB (the USB ports are detected in a certain order so you alter the order of devices found by Windows by plugging things into different ports. You'll need to experiment to find how the ports are ordered.

When assigning keys to a lever this is being seen by Xpadder as a stick being constantly held. This is simply how axis are read. You can fix this by using the advanced assignments window and adding a Delay after the key. This will effectively tap the key.

conticreative

Re: mapping keys from a Thrustmaster TH8 RS Shifter

Post by conticreative »

Thank you very much. I will be experimenting.

Return to “Other questions”