controller image not valid

w.johnson073175

controller image not valid

Post by w.johnson073175 »

Please someone help! I must first warn you that I am not very computer savy. It has taken me over an hour just to figure out how to post my question!

Ok, here it goes.... I have a xbox 360 afterglow wired controller. I have downloaded the drivers on Microsoft for a wired controller. I have purchased and downloaded xpadder. I have found my controller in the game controller database and I have right clicked on the image and copied it. This is what I have been doing after that( I think this is where I am going wrong.)
1. Double click xpadder icon. *After it opens the screen inside the box is not pink like others I have seen. It is white.
2. Click on the xpadder icon that is on top left(after it opens).
3. Click paste. (this is where the error comes up that the controller image is not valid.)

I have went under settings and I have discovered that under themes I can right click and paste. The image then is saved. I go back to the xpadder (#2) and click paste and it says nothing is on the clipboard. I have read more on the forum and figured out that themes is not where I need to be. So someone please help me! :x :cry:

p.s. I have checked xpadder and it recognizes my controller. Just can't get image and controller to work with xpadder. I know controller works with drivers though. I went under control panel and saw that the computer has my controller shown. I doubled clicked it and a page came up that I could make sure it worked. I moved controls on the controller and it worked. So I am thoroughly confused and frustrated! I have been trying to get this working since Christmas. I have gotten this close, but I am still too far away! Thanks for the Help!!!!!!!!!

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: controller image not valid

Post by Primal Fear »

The small button in the upper left doesn't actually contain a Xpadder icon. If you look closely, you will see the usual components of a controller instead of the smiley. So it's simply controller icon.
However, if you open this menu (the Controller Menu) and directly click in this menu on "Paste..." you are about to paste a whole controller layout, which means that Xpadder expects special text data. So if you have only copied a controller image into the clipboard, you will get this error message that there is no text data in the clipboard.

What you need to do is to click in the Controller Menu on "Settings...". The Controller Settings will open with the part for the Controller Image already selected. Here is the the "Paste" button you need to click.
If you didn't do that already, you also need to create the rest of your Controller Layout (detecting and placing the sticks and buttons of your controller).

w.johnson073175

Thank you for responding so quickly. I followed your instructions and went to settings under the controller menu. I hit paste and nothing happens. I then went back to the game controller database and recopied the controller image. Then I repeated the process. Nothing happens. I can't do the controller layout because all you can do is hit enable. Nothing else is highlighted. You can't push the detect button either.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Seems like the Controller Settings freeze somehow when you try to paste a image as controller layout. This problem solves itself when you restart Xpadder or your PC. If you didn't do that by now, you can also simply open the Controller Menu and click on "New...".

w.johnson073175

Ok, I have restarted my computer. I have also restarted Xpadder. I went to the Controller Menu and clicked on "New...". Nothing happens. Any other ideas. The other night I was reading older topics that were related. I saw where someone had an issue like mine. I went to Xpadder Settings and changed where it doesn't automatically detect new controllers. I then went under the Controller Menu and selected new. The page actually came up magenta like it was suppose to. I went under Controller Menu (or tried). It kept freezing up and I would have to goto the task manager to get it to close. When it would work I would goto settings under Controller Menu like you had told me to. I would select paste and still nothing would happen. Also, I could never get the magenta page to come back. Any ideas?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

You can alternatively paste the controller image into Paint and save it as Bitmap (to convert the file format) and open the file instead of pasting it. But there seems to be a basic problem with the controller settings, so let's check some things first as opening the Controller Image could not work for this reason too.

Do following things work:
After freshly starting Xpadder open the Controller Menu and click on "New...", the Controller Settings should now open automatically (Don't try to paste any image).
The big area for the controller in the main window should be white with a gray gradient (if you didn't change the theme settings) and the big area in the Controller settings should be Magenta.
Select in the Controller Settings "Sticks" and activate "Enabled" for the first stick. Xpadder should now show a dialogue window that are supposed to press Stick 1 to the left and a circle should appear on the magenta area.

If one (or more) of these things are already not correctly working, close the Controller Settings, open the Controller Menu and click on "Properties...". On the right side you see green bars, one section for DirectInput and on for Xinput. In both areas the bars should react if you move a stick or press any button.

w.johnson073175

Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I ended up taking my computer to best buy and had the geek squad assist me. I showed the guy everything I was doing and he couldn't get it to work either. He then changed the computer so it would run xpadder as windows 7. It worked perfectly then. Window 8 and xpadder do not mix in my book. Works great now that he did what he did.

kyla286

Post by kyla286 »

ok im getting fustrated :evil: . im trying to copy the image from xpadder website to the xpadder controller set up and i cant paste it into the magenta colored screen. im running my computer on windows vista. i tried copying the image to the paint program(worked fine) but when i tried to copy the image from paint to the magenta screen it said invalad image. :evil: grrrrrrrr what am i doing wrong. please help me

Return to “Other questions”