Use Xpadder to switch active windows?

thm655321

Use Xpadder to switch active windows?

Post by thm655321 »

Is there a Xpadder command that would allow you to switch the active window based for example on the name of the window? Autohotkey has that command, called winActivate, and I am wondering if it is possible to do the same thing using Xpadder.

Thanks in advance.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Use Xpadder to switch active windows?

Post by Primal Fear »

No, that's not possible with Xpadder.

brendanhobbart

Post by brendanhobbart »

I believe this is kind-of possible but part of how to do it eludes me. I need to be able to switch between multiple instances of the same app and also one other running app. If you position them appropriately in the windows taskbar, you can use the windows key + a number to access them directly. eg. Windows Key + 4 (pressed simultaneously) will activate the window in that slot and accomplishing that is easy enough in Xpadder. Where I need help is toggling between multiple instances of the same app. Using the same example if I press and hold the Windows key while repeatedly pressing '4' it will cycle through each instance of the app. In my case I want to be able to cycle through 3 instances so I want to program Xpadder to cycle through the following sequence of key events:

Windows key + '4' pressed together
Hold Windows key down while pressing '4' twice
Hold Windows key down while pressing '4' three times

Anyone know how to do this? Thanks for the help....

p.s. Primal Fear - I know this is just an ugly workaround and not at all a replacement for winActivate, but I believe the OP and I are trying to accomplish the same thing as I suspect the Windows key idea was given to me by the OP in another forum :)

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

This is actually a really neat solution if the program is anyways pinned to the Taskbar. And if not, you only have to arrange the position of the program to match with the assigned number.

To create the assignment for that you need to open the Advanced Assignment window. The assignment for that would have to look like that (note that you probably have change the number key):

Code: Select all

;--- Xpadder Profile Data ---
DataType=Profile
Version=2012.12.31
Set1Button1Slots=TAP TIME 0.25s,Windows Logo Left,2,CYCLE STOP,Windows Logo Left,2,PAUSE 0.00s,Windows Logo Left,PAUSE 0.00s,Windows Logo Left,2,CYCLE STOP,Windows Logo Left,2,PAUSE 0.00s,Windows Logo Left,PAUSE 0.00s,Windows Logo Left,2,PAUSE 0.00s,Windows Logo Left,PAUSE 0.00s,Windows Logo Left,2
But would prefer this simpler solution:

Code: Select all

;--- Xpadder Profile Data ---
DataType=Profile
Version=2012.12.31
Set1Button1Slots=Windows Logo Left,2,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,TAP TIME 1.00s,Windows Logo Left
Set1Button1TurboRate=100
With this assignment you can cycle to the next instance of the program by tapping the button again within 1s. If you shouldn't like the time that Xpadder waits before releasing the Window key, you need to change the time of the light blue tap time slot.
If you should prefer to hold the button, you can activate the Turbo in the Advanced Assignment window. You only need to make sure that the time of the Turbo always matches with the time o the tap time slot.

brendanhobbart

Post by brendanhobbart »

Thanks! I'll give this a shot today.

brendanhobbart

Post by brendanhobbart »

Well, it works and it doesn't :) The script itself is fine and works as expected in Windows. The problem I'm having now is when I use it while in-game (iRacing) the Winkey+# sequence behaves differently even if input directly via the keyboard. When you press the Winkey+# it will bring the selected window to the front, but only temporarily. As soon as you release the Winkey the previously selected window will reappear. So it's allowing you to peek at the window contents but will not permanently switch over. Frustrating - this was beginning to look like a great solution! FWIW the winActivate command in Autohotkey does work but sporadically. I would much rather get this done in Xpadder since I'm already using for a bunch of other controls and it is reliable.

In case anyone happens to understand the bowels of Windows logic - iRacing is running in fullscreen mode over triple 1080p screens in an Eyefinity setup. The app instances I am trying to switch between are running on a small USB monitor. A shiny gold star to anyone who can figure this one out!! :)

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

It is often not as easy as intended to tab out of a game. You need to go over the welcome screen (Ctrl+Alt+Del) in these cases, unfortunately you need hardware based keyboard input to get this combination recognizes.

Return to “Other questions”