Do you use the tray icon?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Do you use the tray icon?

Post by Jonathan »

A development question now requiring some feedback. Do you use the tray icon?

I'm considering removing it for the following reasons:
1) Windows 7 introduced "pinning to taskbar/hide taskbar labels" as user feedback showed this was preferred to clean taskbar and start menu/tray access
2) Not everyone runs Xpadder 24/7 so an anti-virus style minimize to tray icon and stay there always isn't always necessary
3) Adds confusion with tray icon hiding options as user may not know it is running
4) Adds confusion with the close window to tray default option
5) Adds confusion with "program already running" and "cannot delete"
6) The user is more likely to close Xpadder manually if visible on taskbar and closedown checks and prompts can be streamlined and improved
7) 6) would also mean "losing settings" and "ini not writable" errors are more catchable as it's not during a forced shutdown of the program via windows logoff

My idea is to revert to a standard program method of:
1) Taskbar button visible always if program is running
2) Minimize is minimize
3) Close shows "Are you sure - Xpadder won't work if closed" prompt
4) First run asks pin to taskbar?

Most users use Xpadder like a basic program (run, use, close when not needed). A standard taskbar button would simplify things and reduce confusion in various situations.

Personally I have never used the tray icon and disable "minimize to tray" immediately on install - I'd be interested to know if others do this too?
So would you miss it or be glad to see it gone? Any function you rely on the tray icon for? Anything you do via tray icon as it's quicker than alternatives?

Errol
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Do you use the tray icon?

Post by Errol »

I think if you take off or disable the function in the Xpadder option "Show icon in notification area" that might be a good idea especially for new users and for users who are not quite familiar with the software and like to experiment. When they un-check the box then they don't know if Xpadder is running in the background or not and they just keep pressing on the Xpadder.exe or the shortcut and coming up with an error or no response.

Just like you I have never used the tray icon and disable "minimize to tray" immediately on install.

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

I've always used the Tray Icon, from the first day I started using Xpadder, up to this morning. I do NOT like having excess junk sitting on my Task Bar (I always opt to have any programs that have "Minimize to Task Bar" and "Minimize to Task Tray" set to minimize the icon to the Task Tray).

I like a clean Task Bar, it's just my nature. And people who don't want to see the Xpadder icon smiling at them from the Task Tray can always set up their "Notification Area" to hide the Xpadder icon.

Maybe have an option to allow users to either have Xpadder minimize to the Task Bar, to the Task Tray, or both. That'd be the most user friendly option, I think.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I use the tray icon (actually only mainly for closing) and I have Xpadder pinned to the Taskbar. But in fact it's annoying to switch between these two icons. :?
I have Xpadder always running, so out of habit I would expect a icon in a notification area.

I think it makes sense to change the default settings that way, but keeping the alternative to use the tray icon and minimize when closing. Perhaps is one setting for both things enough, "traymode" or something like that.
Jonathan wrote:4) First run asks pin to taskbar?
Definitely, tick able choices "Create Desktop shortcut" and "Pin to Taskbar".
But how would that work when I start a newer version from a different path or with another name (without replacing the old Xpadder.exe). Can/should Xpadder simply replace the old shortcuts?

And what will happen with the "Return all windows to the primary monitor" setting (Edit: actually it's currently also not available when the tray icon is disabled)?
Last edited by Primal Fear on 28 Feb 2013, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revised text for better understanding (I have no idea what I did there before)

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Found another good reason why I need to have Xpadder in the notification area. When I use Alt-Tab I don't want to see Xpadder there. :lol:

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

Primal Fear wrote:Found another good reason why I need to have Xpadder in the notification area. When I use Alt-Tab I don't want to see Xpadder there. :lol:
That's another good point.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

for users that are so keen on it staying in id suggest setting the taskbar as default on fresh xpadder setup & leaving the tray unchecked. personally i find there are too many tray icons that i tend to hide them over keeping them

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Absolutely, that should be the way to go.
Additionally the difference between these two modes and especially the existence of the tray mode should be explained precisely in the manual. It should also include that the default setting was changed from tray to non tray in version ... and that it can be changed in the settings.

In another matter, I finally think that it's necessary to move the Xpadder.ini somewhere to a central place where it definitely can be written. In my opinion this should be somewhere under Appdata (these bad bad programs that spam my actual !my documents! folder, so I cannot find my documents anymore :x). Of course it's there not that accessible anymore for us Xpadder geeks, but for the normal user it's strange to have the necessity to run a program from their my documents folder or always as admin (which also causes that the autostart isn't working anymore without starting Xpadder via the Task Scheduler... :ugeek:).

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Or could Xpadder maybe detect that it is running from the Program Files folder, any write protected folder or the Desktop (just to not place any more files there) to search for a available Xpadder.ini under appdata when starting and to save it there when closing?

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

as sad as it is i just run my copy from a folder stored in my download folder so i allways know where to look

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

My Xpadder versions are always stored at: "C:/Xpadder/Version x.xx/", so I always know not only ~where~ it is, but which version I'm running. I still like to use 5.3 for scripting, because Jonathan hasn't fixed the "glitch" where setting a lengthy sequence as a "turbo function" and then setting it to "toggle", causes it to only do ~part~ of the sequence, and then stops before it finished. 5.3 was the last one that I know of that let it perform the entire sequence, and then repeat it ad infinitum, as I need it to.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

FARTRIDER wrote:as sad as it is i just run my copy from a folder stored in my download folder so i allways know where to look
Just don't download any Xinput1_3 or Dinput.dll's. :lol:

legend

Post by legend »

I ALWAYS use the tray icon. I don't get not having quick access to it with all the games I use for it.

Alyx

Post by Alyx »

I use the tray icon heavily, for the reasons Terra Branford described. I have Xpadder running 90% of the time because I use a wireless PS3 controller from the bedroom (away from the PC) to play movies and such on a TV. If there was no tray option I would not leave Xpadder open so often, and it would then be a little annoying to have to remember to start it.

breakn_stuff

Post by breakn_stuff »

for any and many number of reasons i use the taskbar icon. At most please make it an option that can be toggled in settings. thanx man. your awareness to your customers and your ingenuity are FREAKIN EPIC!

Zap Rowsdower
Location: Passed out in the back of a broken-down Rowsdowermobile.

Post by Zap Rowsdower »

I always use the tray icon, because I almost always leave it running in the background. It makes switching profiles faster. I'd actually like to have an option for a tray icon only mode. If you need to make the task bar option the default for new users that's fine. But the tray icon is definitely my preferred way, since I think of Xpadder as more of an essential background service than a separate app. :geek:

julian.schlueter1

Post by julian.schlueter1 »

Zap Rowsdower wrote:I always use the tray icon, because I almost always leave it running in the background. It makes switching profiles faster. I'd actually like to have an option for a tray icon only mode. If you need to make the task bar option the default for new users that's fine. But the tray icon is definitely my preferred way, since I think of Xpadder as more of an essential background service than a separate app. :geek:
I completely agree with him.

I use it to open xpadder in a quick way and choose the fitting profile.

Pollux

Post by Pollux »

Despite having W7 and running xpadder on startup (needing tray option) I used it first as an single app.
What made me change my xpadder usage was the fact that I built a machine to run Hyperspin and a lot of games requiring to change profiles.
So I suggest this tray option should exist but not as a default.
Before my Hyperspin experience I just opened Xpadder, played the game and shut it down again but now I have it running all the time.
I understand all opinions for sure but I think you should keep the tray thing.

Sorry my poor english...
Cheers!

ravermeister

Post by ravermeister »

I really use the tray icon too,
xpadder is active by default, and I close it with the tray icon for games which have native xbox controller support.
the middle click on the icon is a very handy feature which I would DEFINATELY miss.

Return to “Other questions”