Need help re-using Xpadder

dturtsenec

Need help re-using Xpadder

Post by dturtsenec »

Hi there, I once configured Xpadder for Mass Effect 2 and used it successfully with no complaints. However, it's now been ages since I used the program (or played a game).

I'm now starting to game again and I was attempting to play Splinter Cell Blacklist on the PC thru Uplay. However, Ubisoft made a really buggy port and although it claims to support the Xbox 360 controller, it has serious issues with the A button. It works for some actions, but doesn't work for others. That, or it does work until it simply decides not to.

Anyway, I was going to attempt bypassing the game's own gamepad support and using Xpadder instead. (Setting it to keyboard, but binding the keys to my gamepad)

However, it's been so long since I used Xpadder that I forgot how to use it! : (

I know, stupid..

Anyway, I also changed computers and am opening the program on a different one so I don't know what problems to expect now. I DO know that I already made an Xbox controller layout and a configuration for Mass Effect so I shouldn't have to do that all over again. I'm having trouble pulling out the controller layout so I can start reconfiguring it for Blacklist, can someone refresh my memory on how to do that please? : /

tsukijin

Re: Need help re-using Xpadder

Post by tsukijin »

Hi
Have you taken a look at the walkthrough section here? http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewforum.php?f=7
Just choose the thread that best describes the spot you're stuck on and follow the instructions.

There are also a few Mass Effect 2 profiles posted here. http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewforum.php?f=9
Just scroll down to the Mass Effect 2 section and take a look around, I guess if you don't want to relearn the setup process downloading a profile would be the way to go. ^^

dturtsenec

Post by dturtsenec »

tsukijin wrote:Hi
Have you taken a look at the walkthrough section here? http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewforum.php?f=7
Just choose the thread that best describes the spot you're stuck on and follow the instructions.

There are also a few Mass Effect 2 profiles posted here. http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewforum.php?f=9
Just scroll down to the Mass Effect 2 section and take a look around, I guess if you don't want to relearn the setup process downloading a profile would be the way to go. ^^

I already have a Mass Effect 2 profile, I just need to figure out how to pull it out. I also have an Xbox controller setup and I need to pull that out as well. I can't get either one.

Right now when I try to open a profile on the left, I get a window saying "save new controller before opening another controller?"

What? What new controller? I don't have a new controller, I just have the old controller. Is it saying that because I opened the program on a different computer? I don't wanna accidently erase something and have to make it all over again.

tsukijin

Post by tsukijin »

To be on the safe side I would suggest that you save the controller layout that's currently loaded on your XPadder, just in case the one that you load isn't what you needed. That way you can load up your current configuration if things go wrong.

I don't know how much you remember when it comes to setting up XPadder but I attached a screenshot just as a reminder on loading controllers and profiles.
To load "controllers" [aka The position of the squares that XPadder uses for assigning keystrokes] You have to click the left button.
To load "profiles" [aka The keystrokes that are assigned to the buttons] you have to click on the right button.

When you click on one of the buttons browse to the location on your hard drive where you have saved the profile and controller layout.

dturtsenec

Post by dturtsenec »

I think it was malfunctioning for a while or something because when I opened it this time, it started over with the "use this program at your own risk" thing, then when I opened my xbox controller layout it no longer asked me to save my "new controller". I did have a strange moment two days ago when xpadder and malwarebytes seemed to be interfering with each other, I wound up having to redownload malwarebytes. I think I had accidently opened both programs at the same time that day or something. Weird. Anyway, I finally have my controller profile up. : )

Now I just gotta configure the Splinter cell controlls and save that as a new profile in my library. I'll go look thru the walkthrough to refresh myself.

dturtsenec

Post by dturtsenec »

In the game, the A button controls both Active Sprint and Use. However, in the keyboard, Active Sprint is controlled by the shift key while Use is controlled by the space bar.

How do I create a double assignment?

dturtsenec

Post by dturtsenec »

Oh, okay, that's what "set" is for.

dturtsenec

Post by dturtsenec »

How do you create a button in the center of the D-pad for when you need to depress it?

So far it's only giving me the 8 button option.

dturtsenec

Post by dturtsenec »

Also, do you have to do something to activate both sets at once? Cause in-game, the features controled by shift are working when I press the A button, but the stuff controlled by space bar is still unresponsive.

tsukijin

Post by tsukijin »

glad to hear you got the profile working again.

I'm afraid I haven't played Backlist so I don't know how the active sprint and use buttons work.
does one of them need to be held down in order to work? or do they both just need to be tapped during context sensitive situations? if you could explain in detail how you need the A button to work I could try to help you out a bit better.

As far as "depressing" the d-pad goes... I don't think its possible to click the middle of it. Unless you actually mean the joystick? well, in any case to add buttons click on the name of your controller then on the left side of the window that pops out go to the buttons tab then just click the left joystick to add that 5button. You'll notice a new square pop up on the main screen. Clicking on "ok" will take you back to the main window so you can assign to it what you need.

I might check some gameplay videos to get a better idea of what you need.

dturtsenec

Post by dturtsenec »

[quote="tsukij
I'm afraid I haven't played Backlist so I don't know how the active sprint and use buttons work.
does one of them need to be held down in order to work? or do they both just need to be tapped during context sensitive situations? if you could explain in detail how you need the A button to work I could try to help you out a bit better.
[/quote]

Come to think of it, you do have to hold the button down when you're sprinting or else it stops. In the Advanced assignments window you have "add hold zone" and "add release zone", why not just "hold"? How's that work.

[quote="tsukij

As far as "depressing" the d-pad goes... I don't think its possible to click the middle of it.
[/quote]

According to Blacklist you can, which makes it extremely awkward to control when you're trying to select a gadget or switch between lethal and non-lethal takedowns. Unless I'm doing it wrong.

Watch this video at the 7:17 point.

tsukijin

Post by tsukijin »

you're right when you look in the advanced section it gives you the holdzone option which you can use as I show on the screenshot above. I have it setup where tapping the a button will show as Space but when you hold down the button for .2 seconds and keep it held it becomes shift instead.

This if course causes a very small delay where you'll have to wait for .2 seconds to be able to run. you can mess around with the timing to set it to where you're comfortable.

I took a another the gameplay video you posted [thanks by the way] I think the D-Pad prompt meant that when you hold a direction on the cross, then the selection wheel comes up. again I'm not a 100% on this but that's what I got from the game tutorial section. Maybe you can use the same setup above for the selection wheel, just map it to a direction on the D-Pad that you feel comfortable with. That way when you tap the cross you select your gadgets then when you hold it the selection wheel comes up. That reminds me, How are you currently using the selection wheel?

I was thinking that maybe if the game allows you un-map the "a" button actions from the gamepad options you'll only need to emulate the shift and space keys with X-padder while Keeping the rest of the controller's default layout working as intended. He he That's how I play Battlefield 3, Half the controller is using keyboard strokes and the other is using actual joystick inputs.

dturtsenec

Post by dturtsenec »

This is the thing though, it's not as if the sprint function wasn't working correctly. It's working fine without the "hold" addition. It's the other functions that haven't been working here. The ones controlled by space bar. However, the impression you're giving me is that you have to add the "hold" addition to shift to make sure the program fully differentiates between that function and the ones controlled by spacebar when pressing the A button. Am I reading you right?

Also, I notice the controls are very sluggish now, particularly where the camera is concerned. With the mouse or the gamepad the camera moves quickly, but when the mouse is controlled by XPadder the camera moves slowly. I also notice it loses the affect of zooming in on him (you know how it zooms in sometimes as you move it? Usually when he's standing in a certain place or his body is in a certain position?).

dturtsenec

Post by dturtsenec »

I also notice that the toggles aren't working which is why I had asked before whether you had to click some box to "activate" the second set of assignments simultaneously?

dturtsenec

Post by dturtsenec »

You there?

dturtsenec

Post by dturtsenec »

Hello?

Return to “Other questions”