In Fallout New Vegas, caravan shotgun shoots once, then disconnects xbox controller

grafam

In Fallout New Vegas, caravan shotgun shoots once, then disconnects xbox controller

Post by grafam »

Just set up Xpadder and all the other functions work on the 360 controller using Windows 7. The third person left bumper is a little squirrelly when taken off first person shooter (tends to not want to let you back on) but not a big issue now. All the other guns and weapons work with no disconnection. After one shotgun round, window pops up with controller disconnect message, and I must push guide or start button to get back on track. Anything I can do or try? Thanks for any advice.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: In Fallout New Vegas, caravan shotgun shoots once, then disconnects xbox controller

Post by Primal Fear »

Do you use a specific profile here from the forum?

That with the controller disconnection is a really strange issue. Does it also occur if you tab out of the game, quit Xpadder, tab back into the game and then press the respective firing button (that of course shouldn't work now)?

grafam

Re: In Fallout New Vegas, caravan shotgun shoots once, then disconnects xbox controller

Post by grafam »

Thanks for the fast response. On a whim, I tried switching controllers this morning and that turned out to be the problem. Shotgun works fine now -- good thing, too, because I have a lot of 20 gage I wanted to shoot. On this controller, however, I get some drift to the left once in awhile; minor stuff. I'm out of the game right now, but suspect the squirrelly left bumper was result of controller, as well. Our controllers are about three years old and maybe need to be refurbished, if that is even possible.

I fixed my profile--it was late last night and I had just bought Xpadder. I used PanicKnifeDoll's Xpadder tutorial to get things going and that made things easier for me--since I am an old-timer and fairly new to gaming.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Yes analog stick wear out with the time. You can increase the Dead Zone of the left stick by clicking on the tool symbol near it (in the main window) and then clicking on "Settings". Default is 25% and I would recommend to generally increase it to 30%. But you can test how much you exactly need by moving the stick into a direction and releasing it slowly. Do that with all eight direction and if a direction stays outside of the red area, increase the DeadZone value so that it's again inside of the red area.
This setting will only be saved for the respective profile, so you have to set the DeadZone every time you create a new profile.
Alternativly there is also the possibility to change the "Default Stick DeadZone" value in the settings (tool symbol in the upper right) under "Values", but then it will always be applied for both sticks.

grafam

Post by grafam »

O.K. Have it adjusted. Did both sticks @30, left diagonal alone @ 45 because not sure what it does. Will try and let you know.

On a different matter, while playing Fallout NV, the game frequently becomes non-responsive necessitating a task manager 'end task' and restart of the game. Usually the game screen just freezes rendering the controller and mouse useless. Ctrl-Alt-Del is the only process allowing me to continue.

Here is what I have:

Comcast internet connection.
Acer Aspire V3-771
Windows Experience Index rating of 4.5 (min. for Fallout is 4.3, max. is 4.8 )
Intel Core i7-3610 QM
CPU @ 2.3GHz 2.3GHz
RAM 6.00 GB 5.84 usable
64 bit OS

Any idea how I can avoid these freeze ups? Do I need make adjustments to my computer? Thanks.

Return to “Other questions”