run Xpadder before login

H3ath3n

run Xpadder before login

Post by H3ath3n »

Is there a way I can load and run Xpadder prior to logging into Windows?
*I tried to create a program startup task with Task Scheduler but I wasn't successful.(I'm sure I did something wrong.)

I would like to have Xpadder load during system boot up and run at the Windows login/welcome screen so that I may move the cursor, select my user account and then type in my password so I can login to Windows etc etc. All with my gamepad. As if my gamepad(wireless xbox360) were a fully functional wireless keyboard and mouse..... and yes my gamepad is configured to execute these procedures. Can we get Xpadder to do this one way or another?

So anyone got any ideas, suggestions, questions?

New Development:

So it seems that my Scheduled Task is loading Xpadder prior to logging in but I don't have full function or hardly any at all...
I can't do anything that my Xpadder controller sets are setup to do besides that I can switch my control set with a button press on my game pad that I had previously configured to do so. I can tell that it's switching thru my sets because I have my controller set to vibrate when switching to another set.
Other than that, nothing seems to work. For example, my controller is set to control the mouse function and various keyboard function including typing but there's no response while at the windows login/welcome screen.
There must be a way around this. Even if I have to trick my computer into thinking Xpadder is a driver. I know this would work because a wireless keyboard and mouse works before logging into windows because it is the driver that configures the key mapping of the HID device. All hardware device drivers, wireless or internal, load prior to windows login.

So again I ask. Anyone got any help for me on this topic?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: run Xpadder before login

Post by Primal Fear »

Except from the possibility over the Task Scheduler I also tried myself starting Xpadder as a service, which didn't work too. On top of that the service seems to shut down after the login, but well the normal "Start with Windows" setting or the way over the Task Scheduler could simply fix that problem.

If you say that the rumble works (I need to check this myself), I would suppose that Windows didn't already load the service that Xpadder uses for it's emulated input. That is the same service that the Virtual Keyboard is using, so maybe opening it would allow Xpadder to work. Although this wouldn't be a real solution, maybe starting the Virtual Keyboard via the Task Scheduler too would help.

A for the driver thing, no that's not possible. Xpadder works over the the already mentioned service and you won't find any alternative program to Xpadder that is using virtual device drivers for the input, as "Verified by Windows" that is necessary for publishing drivers for 64-bit versions of Windows is very expensive. Only Saitek (respectively now Mad Catz) and Logitech are using such drivers for their programs (obviously they have the money), but you would need to buy a controller for them to use their software. Also I'm not sure if loading a default profile when starting their programs is possible at all.

H3ath3n

Post by H3ath3n »

Thank you Primal Fear for replying and clearing up a couple of things for me. But now I might have more questions xD
So are you saying that I should make a service and task?
I will try to add the virtual keyboard to my scheduled tasks and see if this does anything. I will continue to run tests and try a few new things myself. I will keep you posted on any new developments.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

H3ath3n wrote:So are you saying that I should make a service and task?
No actually not. I tried running Xpadder as a service while the login and after the login normally as a task, but the input didn't work as well.
H3ath3n wrote:I will try to add the virtual keyboard to my scheduled tasks and see if this does anything.
You can start the Virtual Keyboard simply over the button in the lower left of the login. But I tried it by now and it doesn't help too. I suppose that the problem is simply a security function of Windows, that can if at all be bypasses with the expensive Verified by Windows certification.

H3ath3n

Post by H3ath3n »

I'm not willing to give up on this. I'm sure there is something I missed that can make this happen. I'm going to keep digging and see if I can't find a way without a Microsoft certificate. I'd like to believe it's possible. Especially since I have gotten at least partial response out of the app and controller just by creating a system startup task for Xpadder.

PS- If you are not getting the same responses out of the controller as I am by using just a custom scheduled task, then let me know and i''ll send you a copy of my Xpadder Scheduled Task .xml file to use as a reference to set yours the same.

Return to “Other questions”