Xpadder doesnt start with Windows (8)

nick578

Xpadder doesnt start with Windows (8)

Post by nick578 »

Hi,

I have got the option "Start with Windows (auto-minized)" checked, but it doesnt start with Win 8.1. The workaround via adding the shortcut to "start up" works, but then the Xpadder window appears on each boot. Can this be fixed?

Kind regards,
\Nick

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Xpadder doesnt start with Windows (8)

Post by Primal Fear »

The "Start with Windows" works for me with any problem under Windows 8.1. The only known possibility to break the "Start with Windows" setting is activating in the properties of the Xpadder.exe in the Compatibility tab that Xpadder should alway start with admin privileges. But then the Autostart folder wouldn't help here too, you would would need to use the Task Scheduler to do both (start with Windows and as admin).

However, there is a setting call "start minimized (if started by user)" directly under the "Start with Windows" setting that should solve your problem.
You can also check in the Task Manager under the tab "Autostart" if Xpadders entry may be deactivated. Note that the "Start with Windows" settings needs to be activated to see Xpadders entry there.

nick578

Post by nick578 »

Hmm I dont understand what you mean. I now have both options "start with Windows (auto-minimized) *and* "Start minimized" checked *and* copied the shortcut to "Startup folder", but Xpadder still doesnt start with windows.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

First you say the Autostart works with a shortcut to the Xpadder.exe in the Autostart folder, just that Xpadder isn't starting minimized, and now it doesn't work at all?

OK, let's try if we can find a reason why Xpadder's autostart function isn't working. First remove the shortcut from the Autostart folder of Windows then make suthe re "Start with Windows" is activated. Now right click the Xpadder.exe and click on "Properties", select the tab "Compatibility" and check if "Run this program as administrator" is checked. Deactivate it if this is the case.
If it is already off, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc, select the tab "Startup" (new in Windows8) and check there is the status of the deactivated. Activate it if this is the case.

Did you find anything wrong and did it fix your problem?

nick578

Post by nick578 »

Hi!

Yes, "Run as administrator" is checked, and now I remember, that this was nesessary for Xpadder to work under Win 8. After switching from Win 7 to 8 I had to do that because in some games Xpadder no longer worked. So I must have it running as administrator. And If that prevents it from auto-starting, I can live with that. It is more important to me that Xpadder works properly in games, than the auto-start. Afterall, it is just one extra click to start Xpadder upon system boot.

Thanks for your analytical help!

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

As already mentioned, if you want to have Xpadder starting with Windows and with admin privileges then you need to use the Windows Task Scheduler.
More information are here.

Return to “Other questions”