Xpadder + XB1 controller: Fairly high cpu usage (15-25%) on a 4790k, typing causes PC to hang

crackshot91

Xpadder + XB1 controller: Fairly high cpu usage (15-25%) on a 4790k, typing causes PC to hang

Post by crackshot91 »

Specs:

4790k stock
16GB RAM
GTX 980
Windows 10 Pro x64 w/ latest updates
Xbox One controller, wired

For the past week or so, I started noticing minor hitching when xpadder is opened. It's especially bad when typing or moving the mouse (or using the controller). In some cases, typing can lock the system up completely (it doesn't respond to anything, until I unplug the controller, which instantly unfreezes the PC. Before this, I had no issues, so I'm guessing it has to do with a recent windows update (A major one would be the Windows 10 1511 November update that I wasn't able to install until just recently.)

I have tried completely removing xpadder and starting from "scratch" with all default settings. If I start xpadder with the XB1 controller hidden or disconnected, the cpu usage is perfectly normal and no system hangs occur. I have also tried uninstalling the XB1 controller and reinstalling the driver, but the issue persists. It seems something broke and now xpadder isn't playing well with my XB1 controller. :(

Any help is appreciated!

CJDJ

Re: Xpadder + XB1 controller: Fairly high cpu usage (15-25%) on a 4790k, typing causes PC to hang

Post by CJDJ »

I'm using an XB1 Elite controller on and a wireless adapter... I don't notice slowdown. I have similar specs to you. The only similarities are is xpadder using 15% cpu when the controller is activated. No slow down though.

16GB RAM
GTX 970
Win10 pro 64bit

Sorry this isn't helpful.

crackshot91

Re: Xpadder + XB1 controller: Fairly high cpu usage (15-25%) on a 4790k, typing causes PC to hang

Post by crackshot91 »

Well, at least the high cpu usage is corroborated. :P

I hope someone can help with the hitching/freezing, though. I've done a driver update for all components (even audio and network...) just in case, but the problem yet persists.

vash2695

Post by vash2695 »

@CJDJ That high CPU usage is only part of the issue, this also affects all web browsers (and possibly other software) and can cause them to hang randomly every few minutes.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, here's how I did it:

I installed a VM of the latest windows 10 ISO and located the driver file for the xbone controller, then saved a copy of that to my host OS. I took ownership of the xinputhid.sys driver file (I'll detail this in instructions below) and replaced the newer 10586.122 driver with the 10586.0 version. Doing this causes windows to still think it is using the 10586.122 driver, so it should not be overwritten until another update comes out at some point, but for now the controller works normally for both xpadder and the games that I tested (unlike the generic driver that I also tested). This fix should still be considered temporary, as there may be some issues which I did not encounter, or a future update may overwrite this fix. I take no responsibility for any problems that occur from this fix (If you do have any issues, you can feel free to report them in this thread and I will reply when I can!), and you should follow the instructions below AT YOUR OWN RISK.

INSTRUCTIONS:

So first off, you CANNOT have your controller plugged in or connected wirelessly, and you must be logged in as an admin on your PC.

1. Locate the driver file (xinputhid.sys) under C:/Windows/System32/Drivers
2. Right click the file, select "Properties", then go to the "Security" tab
3. Click "Advanced", then select "Change" on the Owner line, and type in the user name of the primary account on your PC (if you use a Microsoft account, this will be your email)
4. After typing in your user name, click on "Check names", then press OK to close out of the Owner and Advanced properties windows
5. Close out of the Properties window and reopen it, go back to the Security tab and give the "Users" group full control of the file
6. Rename the file to xinputhid.sys.old, or move it to a backup folder
7. Download this file and place it in the location of the original

Tada! You can reconnect your controller and xpadder should now work normally again! 8)

crackshot91

Post by crackshot91 »

Thanks so much, Vash! Your solution works perfectly as far as I can tell. I do hope Xpadder gets updated in case a new windows update breaks something again, though.

Return to “Other questions”