Annoying Behaviour

KmxSoft

Annoying Behaviour

Post by KmxSoft »

I have XPAdder set up and it is working.

However for a few programs XPAdder loses control and won't respond to the gamepad.

When this happens I can use the mouse (or touchpad) and close the program - and this instantly returns control of the gamepad. I'm writing this message via a FireFox window, and XPAdder is fully operational.

I don't know why this is happening, but for the affected programs it seems as though the program is swallowing the Windows messages that XPAdder responds to.

I've tried running XPAdder as admin, and also upped the priority to max (using sysinternals process manager) but nothing seems to change this behaviour.

I'm wondering whether there might be other tweakable options for XPAdder. :idea:

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: Annoying Behaviour

Post by Jonathan »

Some things to investigate :shifty:

1) When this next happens, try disconnecting your controller then re-connecting it. Does that bring it back to Xpadder?
2) Which programs does this happen with? Does it always happen with these programs and if so is it from the moment those programs start?
3) When Xpadder has lost access to the controller:
- a) has the image of the controller disappeared in the Xpadder main window?
- b) is the tab in the top-left of the Xpadder main window red?
- c) if answers to a) and b) are both no then try clicking the tab in the top-left and see if moving the controller sticks alters the numbers

KmxSoft

Post by KmxSoft »

Forgot to mention - I'm running XPAdder v2018.05.01.

1) When this next happens, try disconnecting your controller then re-connecting it. Does that bring it back to Xpadder?

No, control is lost forever when app gets the focus.

If I move off the affected app onto another unaffected app then I have control - but if I move over the affected app it won't let me select that app. I can go back to frozen mode by selecting that app with other controls. Its as though that app is working in another dimension - I can see it but can't interact with it thru XPAddress.

2) Which programs does this happen with? Does it always happen with these programs and if so is it from the moment those programs start?

I haven't listed the affected programs. However the behaviour is consistent for those programs - this isn't a random association.

The issue is immediate when the program is selected. For example when I try to select my AVG control panel by right-clicking its icon in the task panel, the initial small dialog pps up - but I've lost movement and selection for XPAdder. But I can navigate that popup and following popups with the keyboad.

I just noted that XPAdder continues to work if I select the AVG VPN icon, so the behaviour isn't determined by the product author.

I also just noted that if I bring up the XPAdder dialog (with the gamepad display), clicking and moving the gamepad buttons and sticks causes those controls to trigger - I can see the buttons etc change colour to indicate a press. However those instructions don't go through to Windows. So this suggests that XPAdder is receiving the request.

3) When Xpadder has lost access to the controller:
- a) has the image of the controller disappeared in the Xpadder main window?

No - that image stays and disappears and reappears if I disconnect and reconnect the gamepad. As noted above all of the image objects stay and respond whilst the image is up.

- b) is the tab in the top-left of the Xpadder main window red?

No.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Some apps are designed to run at an elevated level and will not respond to simulated key and mouse inputs.
This is usually for security and to prevent malware from creating havoc.
Sometimes a game runs at an elevated level for various reasons and will also ignore simulated key and mouse inputs.

I suggest:
1) Close Xpadder fully (right-click any Xpadder icon by the clock)
2) Download the latest version using the link in your email inbox (you can get a copy of this email by entering your email address into https://xpadder.com
3) Right-click the Xpadder program file icon and select "Run As Admin"

This may fix some of the issues.

KmxSoft

Post by KmxSoft »

I downloaded and installed the latest version a couple of days ago. All seems well, though it still offers the extra popup when the UAC objects. That's not a great hardship, though it's a pity that Windows doesn't offer an option for always allowing a specific program to auto-accept the UAC. And turning off the UAC completely is a very bad idea - I can live with the UAC bothering me.

Something I did a few days ago was configure XPAdder with the Compatability Administrator (link below), and although that doesn't change this UAC behaviour it does allow XPAdder to auto-load when the PC restarts. Without making that change XPAdder won't auto-load and requires manual activation. So this compatability Administrator is definitely worthwhile.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... rator-tool

http://mauricemuteti.info/how-to-downlo ... indows-10/

Note: 32 bit version required - the 64 bit version is no good for XPAdder (but is needed for any other 64 bit programs). This might be of interest to other XPAdder users - auto-starting XPAdder is very welcome.

KmxSoft

Post by KmxSoft »

I may have resolved this issue where XPAdder stops working for some programs which have elevated permissions.

I did so after following the instructions on the following web page, and running the troubleshooting. I got XAdder working with a program where PAdder wouldn't respond and changing the compability relating to previous versions of Wndows.

https://windowsreport.com/fix-mouse-cli ... s-working/

Return to “Other questions”