Assigning a value to a trigger axis (Z-Axis)(STO)

neeyonlytz

Assigning a value to a trigger axis (Z-Axis)(STO)

Post by neeyonlytz »

Is there a way to map the Triggers (Z-Axis) for each axis direction? i.e Pressing down on the trigger is mapped to a value, Releasing the trigger is mapped to a separate value.

As an example, Star Trek Online has a throttle setting. Increasing the throttle is mapped to a key that increases incrementally each time it is pressed. There's a seperate key that functions as throttle decrease and each key press decreases the throttle incrementally. Could both functions be mapped to a single trigger so it increases the throttle when pressed down and decreases the throttle when released?

I probably over explained it but I wanted to be as specific as possible. I think that turbo mode for each key press but I don't think I saw how you can assign for each trigger axis.

Thanks for any help on this!

Edit: n/m, I think I found my answer on the second page of this forum. http://xpadder.com/phpBB3.0.5/viewtopic ... 47&start=0.

I was still on version 5.5 and found out that 5.6 had the hold and release feature added. Will play around with this. Thanks for a fine product.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Assigning a value to a trigger axis (Z-Axis)

Post by SGTCableDog »

It may take a little experimenting to get it right. Do you want the key to be continuously pressed when the trigger is held down or just one key press?

Also, if you get a good profile made would you kindly post it to the Profiles forum. Another using is asking if Xpadder works with Star Trek Online, I assume it does.

neeyonlytz

Post by neeyonlytz »

I'll make sure to post a working profile. Star Trek natively supports the XBOX 360 controller but it does so only on a primitive level. I am fairly articulate on the keybind conventions that Cryptic's engine uses since I have been on the beta's of City of Heroes and onto City of Villains then Champions Online. Cryptic is using the same base UI code for Star Trek but oddly, they did not map the throttle for Starship control onto a standard slider/axis command. It's a keypress that incrementally increases the throttle by a value of .25 :?: (The ingame command is /throttleadjust .25 for forward, /throttleadjust -.25 for slow/reverse) It's just moronic for them to do that...

When I do post it, the profile will probably only have the throttle mapped to the right or left trigger (not both). I will post the ent_keybind.cfg file that contains the ingame console commands to make the 360 controller work for all hotkey buttons.

EDIT: Oh, and as an answer to your question, I wanted the throttle to behave like a standard driving game throttle; i.e. pulling the trigger further increases your speed, releasing it gradually decreases your speed in relation to the Z-Axis with full-release of the trigger indicating a full-stop. Yeah, it will probably take quite a bit of fiddling if it's even possible. Just as a note, there's a sizable forum thread (15 pages long with over 10k views) on STO discussing the merits of controller keymapping programs and XPadder is being touted as the one that may be able to solve the controller compatibility problem by many.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

That explains two posts about STO in one day, one in french even. 8-) I'd be interested in a link to the topic.

What you need may be possible with distance zones that is FeatureX for version 5.7 currently in beta. I'm using the beta but haven't experimented with the distance zones very much.

fred145

Post by fred145 »

Comment as tu dit à STO que tu avais une gamepad ?
Moi quand je suis sur STO et que je veut changer les touches par les boutons de ma manette : il ne voit pas ma manette : j'appuie sur toutes les touches de ma manette et rein ne se passe STO ne détecte pas ma manette ?
Comment faire ?

How did you tell STO that you had a gamepad?
Whenever I'm on STO and I want to change the keys for the buttons of my controller: it does not see my controller: I press all the buttons on my joystick and kidney happens STO does not detect my joystick?
How?
I ahve a Logitech Dual Action and you ?

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

Selon toute vraisemblance, il a un contrôleur Xbox 360. Je ne sais pas avec certitude, mais si un jeu récent confirme les manettes de jeu, vous pouvez parier à coup sûr il supporte le contrôleur 360.

In all likelyhood he has an Xbox 360 controller. I don't know for sure but if a recent game supports gamepads you can bet for sure it supports the 360 controller.

fred145

Post by fred145 »

D'accord mais j'ai une manette Logitech Dual Action.
Est ce qu'il y aune chance pour que Star Trek Online fonctionne avec ma manette ?

Okay, but I have a Logitech Dual Action joystick.
Is there a chance for light that Star Trek Online works with my joystick ?

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

Très probablement Star Trek Online ne prend pas en charge nativement la Dual Action de Logitech. Toutefois, bien sûr Xpadder sera en mesure de vous aider à jouer STO avec votre manette.

Most likely Star Trek Online does not natively support the Logitech Dual Action. However of course Xpadder will be able to help you play STO with your gamepad.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

I browsed the STO site and forums and it appears that the main interface uses WASD and a few scattered keys with much of the interaction involves clicking various parts of the interface. There are a number of customizable trays that has slots that correspond with the number keys 1 through 0. You must first bind more commands to keys in the games console. Then create a profile in Xpadder. It is what I would call not your regular interface like a third person shooter. The game is currently in open beta and there appears to be preliminary gamepad support added.

Return to “Other questions”