Right Trigger causes "Call to an OS function failed" error

chaospearl

Right Trigger causes "Call to an OS function failed" error

Post by chaospearl »

Hi...

I've been using Xpadder for only a couple days now and I love it -- ControlMK wasn't doing what I needed, and Xpadder solved my problems perfectly. There's one problem I'm running into, though. Whenever I try to assign the right trigger, an error pops up saying "a call to an OS function failed" and the trigger doesn't work.

Let me back up. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit), using the Motion in Joy driver with a PlayStation 3 SixAxis controller. As I said, everything appears to function perfectly except for that one right trigger. When I look at the screen that lets you click each button image to assign a function to that button, the right trigger is constantly green, too. The other button images only turn green when I press that button on the controller, but the right trigger is always green as if the button's being held down when I'm not even touching the controller. And when I use my mouse to click the image of the trigger, to assign it, I get that call to OS function error. The image of the trigger button correctly changes to reflect whatever key I've assigned it (stays green, though) but the trigger doesn't actually work. Pressing it does nothing at all.

In addition, earlier today I was getting repeated errors whenever I did anything in Xpadder... of course now that I want to explain the problem I can't get it to happen again so I don't know what exact error, but it was saying something like "this should never happen!" at the bottom of the error box. Whenever that error popped up I'd have to go into Task Manager to close down Xpadder because it wouldn't respond; clicking OK on the error box just popped up the same error again, over and over, until I shut down the exe process in Task Manager.

I have tried closing and re-opening Xpadder, and rebooting my machine, and reinstalling the driver for the controller. A reboot seems to have fixed the "this should never happen!" error temporarily, but the right trigger problem continues to occur no matter what I do.

Any ideas? I kinda really need that right trigger to play Oblivion, lol.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Right Trigger causes "Call to an OS function failed" error

Post by SGTCableDog »

Have you tried using the controller with any games with native controller support? Open Xpadder Controller properties by clicking the controller tab in the main window. It should look something like this:

You won't have the XInput graphs. The triggers should be Axis Z and should be centered when not squeezed. If it is centered try redetecting the triggers in the Controller settings (click the name box to open).

My triggers are Axis Z+ for left and Axis Z- for right. I know when I detected the sliders on my throttle quadrant they were detected as Axis Z-Full.

If the axis isn't centered in the first graphic you may need to adjust something in the driver. I'm not familiar with Motion in Joy driver, if you are willing, a how-to would be of great value here.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

chaospearl wrote:...Whenever I try to assign the right trigger, an error pops up saying "a call to an OS function failed" and the trigger doesn't work.
In addition, earlier today I was getting repeated errors whenever I did anything in Xpadder... of course now that I want to explain the problem I can't get it to happen again so I don't know what exact error, but it was saying something like "this should never happen!" at the bottom of the error box.
The first error is probably causing the other errors so fixing the first one will fix the others :D
What does the ""a call to an OS function failed" error box look like. Is it one of Xpadder's dialogs or is it a plain windows box?
This sounds like a driver error. Reply to Cable's post and we can look at the problem further

chaospearl

Post by chaospearl »

Let me see if I can find a way to test it with a game that has functional controller support. I only use the Sixaxis to play Oblivion -- which DOES have native support for controllersawy, but it for some reason will not work with Win7. I had the Sixaxis working perfectly on my laptop with Vista and Oblivion did detect the controller and allowed me to configure it within the game. In Win7 however, using the exact same controller and exact same game -- game doesn't detect the controller at all, even though it shows up in Win7's Devices panel and allows me to configure it within Windows. I assume it has to do with the driver.

At the moment, Motion in Joy makes the only Sixaxis driver available for 64bit Windows 7 that I'm aware of. I'm not certain what you mean by a how-to -- I did a Google for a driver compatible with Win7, found that MiJ was the only choice, went to the MiJ website, downloaded the driver software, and followed the instructions to install it. Do you need a copy\paste of those instructions?

The "call to an OS function failed" looks like an Xpadder error box, but I'm not entirely sure. It's a normal pop-up box, says Xpadder at the top left, no reference anywhere to Windows. But it's been awhile since I've seen a "plain Windows error box" so I have no basis for comparison.

Opening the controller properties as you said, I see that image as above, and all the axis sliders are centered. The left trigger is -RX and the right trigger is +RX. That is, when nothing is pressed the RX axis is centered. When I hold down left trigger, RX goes all the way to the left. When I hold down right trigger, it goes all the way to the right.

Tried re-detecting the triggers. Nothing changed. I'd tried that a few times before posting. The right trigger is still showing a green image even when it's not pressed down, and it still won't let me assign it.

chaospearl

Post by chaospearl »

Ooo, ooo... hang on, I MAY have figured out the problem.

I was poking around the configuration for the MiJ driver and noticed a tab titled Custom. I'd never clicked it before since it isn't mentioned in the installation instructions and I had no need of customizing anything. So I clicked the tab to see what it was, and it seems to be a menu where you can set up keyboard mapping for the controller. Same concept as what Xpadder does (only not nearly as many options, obviously, it's just simple one-button one-function assignment).

I went in there and set all the buttons to NONE instead of whatever the default mapping had been, and wouldn't you know -- went back into Xpadder and now my right trigger isn't perpetually green anymore, and seems to be taking the assignment I give it. Halle-(bleeep)-lujah! Something in that menu must have been conflicting with Xpadder's assignments. I can't imagine what... but whatever it was, totally un-assigning all the buttons fixed it.

I apologize for wasting your time when the issue turned out to be user error. At least now you're somewhat familiar with the existence of the Motion in Joy driver for Win7, and the fact that it automatically assigns keys to controller buttons without so much as mentioning this fact anywhere in its documentation. I can't possibly be the only person out there wanting to use a Sixaxis with Windows 7, can I?

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

well most people have given up also there are perfectly good bluetooth drivers out there somewhere dont know if there are any for windows vista 64 bit or windows 7 32/64 bit its anybodys guess

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

chaospearl wrote:Ooo, ooo... hang on, I MAY have figured out the problem.

I apologize for wasting your time when the issue turned out to be user error. At least now you're somewhat familiar with the existence of the Motion in Joy driver for Win7, and the fact that it automatically assigns keys to controller buttons without so much as mentioning this fact anywhere in its documentation. I can't possibly be the only person out there wanting to use a Sixaxis with Windows 7, can I?
No problem. Thank you for posting a solution. We do occassionally get conflict problems with other programs and it's the type of solution that is really difficult to figure out (especially when we assume Xpadder is the problem when it isn't). This topic will live-on and no doubt help someone else in the future. :D

yohan.godts

Post by yohan.godts »

i have an error controller setting scan has failed to stop what i have done?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

yohan.godts wrote:i have an error controller setting scan has failed to stop what i have done?
This happens sometimes. Try again and it should work ok.

Return to “Error message while using Xpadder”