Error/Crash on closing Xpadder

neithermore

Error/Crash on closing Xpadder

Post by neithermore »

Hi! I just recently bought Xpadder, I have been using an older version before (5.3 I believe) and it worked just fine. But I thought I'd upgrade because I've been curious about the updates.

First off all OS specifics...
Vista (Home Premium) 32bit, SP2

Not a computer pro though... If something else is necessary as well I can dig it up though! I'm running here on an administrator account, by the way.

Anyway, my problem-

When I try to close Xpadder I get the following error (I'm using Xpadder 5.6):
"Range check error"
and the main window of Xpadder goes blank and it refuses to close, Xpadder will stay open and accessible in the tray. When I try to close it another time I get this error:
"Access violation at address 004F01C1 in module "xpadder.exe"
Read of address 00000008."
(the values change every time I try to close it)

I tried compatibility mode and other things already, no luck.

Other than that the program works just fine until I try to close it. What can I do to fix it? I hate losing all my settings every time I start it up, because that's what happens, it gets resetted. I keep closing the non-functioning program through the task manager in my processes...

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Error/Crash on closing Xpadder

Post by SGTCableDog »

Jonathan will probably have to address this issue but in the mean time lets do some experiments. First rename the Xpadder.ini file to xpadder.old. This file is in the same folder as the xpadder.exe application file.

1. Disconnect your controllers and start then close Xpadder. You are closing Xpadder by right clicking the icon in the notification area/system tray and choosing "Close"? Does the range check error appear?

2. Connect one controller then start and close Xpadder. Does the range check error appear?

3. Start Xpadder and complete the controller layout step. Close Xpadder, Does the range check error appear?

4. Start Xpadder and create a simple profile with mouse assigned to a stick, left click to a button, and a key to another button. Close Xpadder, does the range check error appear.

You can stop at any step that creates the error. I will move this topic to the Bug forum when we are done.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

I thought deleting the Xpadder.ini and letting Xpadder create a new one fixes this problem? There must be some notable changes in the .ini that Xpadder creates in version 5.6 so when it goes to use a .ini that was created by 5.3 or below it generates a range check error.

neithermore

Post by neithermore »

Heyo, thank you everyone!
However, it still dosen't seem to work... I know it sounds a bit silly, but I just figured out Xpadder doesn't create any .ini file to me. Of course I have all folder settings set to display ALL files inclusive the setting that allows to display system files. I have my old version of Xpadder in another directory, the .ini displays just fine.

Just to try it out I've copied the .ini of my previous version into the folder of the new version, then closing worked perfectly fine, but got some other expected errors such as profiles it couldn't find and the window won't open at all, but displays and is closeable in the tray.

So, either way, why don't I get any .ini? Am I doing something wrong (or for that matter, is there anything that can be done wrong?)?

edit.
I fixed it. It seems! I've been trying various locations for the Xpadder folder to be located, from my documents to desktop to program files... When i put the folder to C:/ it worked and created an .ini.
How ever that worked now, ahaha! Thanks so much for the help nonetheless, I'll enjoy Xpadder now (I am more than sure I will)!

But, I have another question now... I'm playing spore, galactic adventures and trying to get a stage running that requires a lot of platforming and using the camera a lot. To make gameplay a lot more easy I want to play it with my gamepad. However, getting the camera to tilt requires to HOLD the right mouse button (or middle) and moving the mouse. And I want to assing this to my right stick (regular PS2 gamepad). How do I assign right click+movement? I can assign only one at a time from what I figured out, is there a way to do put both? I hope it's sort of understandable what I want.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

I'm going to take a guess and say you are trying to run Xpadder from the Program Files folder. With Vista and its UAC security features, it prevents programs from writing to this folder. The changes to these folders are actually saved to the user virtual store. So the next time Xpadder is started it doesn't see the .ini file and assumes it is running for the first time. If the old .ini file used the current folder path for profiles then Xpadder won't know about the old folder. If the old .ini remembers windows positions and the current window is off the screen then you won't see the windows. This is all a guess and may be a figment of my imagination. :shock:

Anyway, the work around if this is case is to run Xpadder from a user folder. I happen to have a folder under the users download folder.

neithermore

Post by neithermore »

Oh, okay, I see then! Thanks! Now with the .ini being created I have run into the error again. Oops! Thought too early it was fixed.

Now, getting back to
1. Disconnect your controllers and start then close Xpadder. You are closing Xpadder by right clicking the icon in the notification area/system tray and choosing "Close"? Does the range check error appear?
2. Connect one controller then start and close Xpadder. Does the range check error appear?
3. Start Xpadder and complete the controller layout step. Close Xpadder, Does the range check error appear?
4. Start Xpadder and create a simple profile with mouse assigned to a stick, left click to a button, and a key to another button. Close Xpadder, does the range check error appear.
1. tried, got the error again.
2. without any controller profile loaded it works. I created one earlier, loaded it and it worked too. But it will not when I create one, see step below. Additionally, I get the error when I assign keys.
3. when I create a new profile I keep getting the error.
4. tried as well, the error occurs again.

I also might add, at some points it magically seemed to work, but when I load a profile with keys assigned it will give me the error again.

It's not a huge deal though, just a tad bit annoying.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Just to be clear. Before starting Xpadder for step 1, did you rename any xpadder.ini file that is in the folder with xpadder.exe?

neithermore

Post by neithermore »

SGTCableDog wrote:Just to be clear. Before starting Xpadder for step 1, did you rename any xpadder.ini file that is in the folder with xpadder.exe?
Yup! I renamed it. A new one was created afterwards.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

deleting the ini didn't fix your problem? ok then there are multiple reasons why someone can get a range check error? Also to be clear you only get the range check error only sometimes (ever since a new ini was able to be created)? This is really odd. Where is the Xpadder.exe located now?

neithermore

Post by neithermore »

Yes, my workaround currently is just deleting the .ini right now. It does work then, however the error will re-appear the second time i start xpadder up. The folder containing xpadder is currently located in my C:/ drive. C:/Xpadder/ that is! And yes, i do sometimes get it, it sometimes works, it sometimes doesn't. Other than that and having to load up the settings every time when i deleted the .ini, xpadder works fine, so currently it's not a huge deal, but odd nonetheless.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

I'm at a loss. I would check to make sure xpadder.ini isn't set as read only. Right click the file in Explorer and choose properties. Is the read-only option checked? I don't know what would cause this though.

neithermore

Post by neithermore »

It seems to work today, yesterday it didn't, though I've been re-starting my computer in the run a few times, that didn't help. Anyway, I created a new gamepad profile, created a few new profiles for the games I normally run, saved them, loaded, re-started xpadder, tried everything and it runs smooth now. I'm puzzled what could have caused that. Unfortunately I didn't check if the file was read-only before I deleted everything and set up xpadder from scratch again. Eventually that was the problem, considering the error occured when I did something that required xpadder to save recent settings. if I get the error again I'll make sure I check! I'm very happy it works now!

(edit: I forgot to mention that I changed the folder name from Xpadder to Xpadder 5.6 before it started working, but if that really makes anything different... I doubt it)

Thanks a lot for the patience and support! And happy holidays. :D

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

I'm glad you got it working.

Return to “Error message while using Xpadder”