Multiple Vehicle Detection and Auto-switch Sets Impossible?

ANiMuS

Multiple Vehicle Detection and Auto-switch Sets Impossible?

Post by ANiMuS »

What do GTA, Battlefield, Arma etc.. have in common? Multiple vehicle types. Many of which have their own control sets in game. Obviously to manage this the game itself recognizes when a 'use default action' such as enter vehicle occurs. It is at this point the game switches to another set of its own. Specifically it knows what set to go to because it's their game. Unfortunately sometimes our in game control bindings aren't enough because our current Xpadder set 1 (on foot) doesn't work well with games flight set for instance. So we end up having to move on to Xpadder set 2. No problem.

Except we have to do this manually beyond just hitting our 'use default enter' key. Such as mine; I have set 2 as an imaginary menu in my head to switch to another set depending on which vehicle I just entered. Now this isn't a game breaker for me, and it easily becomes a habit that's not too hard to get used to. However, I am curious to know What kind of progress has been attempted to make Xpadder retrieve such data so it could auto-switch sets just as the game does, and vice versa (getting out).

I'm pretty sure you've probably tried and maybe you're still trying to figure this out. So I'm requesting a progress report if you will. I guess the best way I could put it is in list form.

How have you approached this issue?
What are some of the problems you've encountered?
What is the biggest roadblock to making this happen?

With much respect and appreciation for this wonderful goldmine of an app you've created. Thank You.

ANiMuS

Re: Multiple Vehicle Detection and Auto-switch Sets Impossible?

Post by ANiMuS »

I'll take that as,
"No, I haven't tried anything of the sort. And probably never will."
:roll:

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I don't have any development insight, but I am sure that it is absolutely impossible to create a solution for every possible game. The only useful feature for that I could think of is if Xpadder would allow other applications to change it's set for an specific controller.

That way a modder could possibly create a mod for the respective game that does exactly that depending on the in game situation. But I'm not sure if such mods would be possible (probably also depends very much on the mod compatibility of the game) and of course it would need such an individual solution for every game.

ANiMuS

Post by ANiMuS »

Thank you Primal Fear for your reply. Sorry for my incredibly late reply as I've not been looking since then.

I have to say I find your idea intriguing for a modder to set up communication to xpadder "switch set 1-8". Upon entering x_vehicle. It could be applied to other things as well I'd imagine.

I'm actually dealing with Arma 3, and if the config could have script awaiting orders from a modded mission to switch sets, that would truly be sweet. :idea:

Return to “Sets”