Can Triggers be mapped as digital buttons?

Wonderglue

Can Triggers be mapped as digital buttons?

Post by Wonderglue »

Basically i bought a similar controller to the Xbox360,it's a exact copy.
But the thing is,i cannot assign Trigger buttons in games since they are recognized as Axis movement.
I know you can assign Keyboard strokes/Mouse buttons to work with the triggers when pressed,but can you actually make the triggers be recognized as Digital Buttons,AKA Button 13 and 14 to be precise?
Since in some games,you can only select a Gamepad or Mouse/Keyboard,there is no in between so both cannot work together.
I tested Xpadder at my friends house but i didn't found any solution to it. Take for example Assassin's Creed 2,you can only choose one controlling method. Either Gamepad or Mouse/Keyboard. When i choose Gamepad the triggers don't work since the game doesn't recognize them,and if i assign anything to those triggers to map from keyboard,the game ignores that since Gamepad is selected as a controlling method.
If i map all the gamepad keys to work as a keyboard and select the Mouse/Keyboard in game settings i lose the Axis sensitivity (Walk/Run speed from the analogue and camera movement) so i can cross that option right away since i don't wanna lose that feature.

So is there any way to map Triggers as Button 13 and Button 14? So i can keep all the Bonuses the Gamepad option in game has. If you can map the Keyboard and Mouse buttons i think it's possible to Map controller buttons as well.

I need those buttons badly,since basically i'm missing 2 buttons that are vital.
Games like Silent Hill 3 work fine tho,since both Gamepad/Keyboard works at the same time.

If Xpadder supports that or will support that in the future (and i think it seriously should) then of course i'm gonna buy it,if not then sadly i have no use of it (even tho i like everything else this program does)
If anyone can help to post some info on how to configurate that,it would be helpful so i can check it at my friends house.

Thanks in advance.

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Can Triggers be mapped as digital buttons?

Post by Terra Branford »

I'm afraid that Xpadder only simulates keypresses and mouse actions... not any joypad buttons.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Wonderglue wrote:If i map all the gamepad keys to work as a keyboard and select the Mouse/Keyboard in game settings i lose the Axis sensitivity (Walk/Run speed from the analogue and camera movement) so i can cross that option right away since i don't wanna lose that feature.
As for the mouse that's not completely correct, Xpadder emulates an analogue input via increasing the mouse speed depending on how far you push the stick.

But there is no way to make a even kindly analogue movement, as this game doesn't support altering movement speed with the keyboard.
Otherwise you could use Distance Zones to do this.

Wonderglue

Post by Wonderglue »

Thanks for the fast reply.
Shame it doesn't support that,but i think i'm still going to buy it since i really need all those extra features.
Maybe this is a wrong place to ask but does anyone know any programs that might do the trick? Or Switch the buttons. I really need those triggers to work as regular buttons.

YoJembo
Xpadder Xpert

Post by YoJembo »

Dunno if this helps but we often set tap or hold features to buttons for extra key commands and/or extra modifier sets to buttons.

strangerdanger

Post by strangerdanger »

Oh wow, sorry to necro but this thread came up for my search string 'assassin's creed 2'.

I bought Xpadder solely because I was advised it would fix the issue with using my wireless 360 for windows controller in AC2!

Ah well, back to whinge at Ubisoft I guess :(

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Meanwhile I have found a program that can emulate the xbox360 controller with any other controller (Keyword: Xinput). After a small Google search I have found out that it can solve this problem too.
Technically you use an Xbox360pad to emulate a Xbox360pad, so it is a stupid solutions for an stupid problem. :lol:

Simply place the downloaded x360ce.exe in the folder with the .exe-file of the game. Start the x360ce and let it create the files it wants to.
Click on the tab "Options" and select under "Hook Mode" "Compatibility". Then click on the tab "Controller 1" (should be your Xbox360pad), select in the lower area under "Presets" the "Controller (Xbox360 Wireless Receiver for Windows)" and click on save. if you like, you can first edit this preset according you conceptions.
Close the program and start the game, done.

Unfortunately it seems like the rumble doesn't work for any game, though it is intended in this program.

strangerdanger

Post by strangerdanger »

I'll give that a whirl tomorrow night, thank you very much :)

strangerdanger

Post by strangerdanger »

Hey Primal, I gave that a try and followed your instructions but it still won't let me map anything to the triggers once camera is set to right stick.

Can I ask for another moment of your time to see if I've missed anything?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

If it works, it shouldn't be possible anymore to map the gamepad buttons in the game. But the controller should work completely with the standard settings, triggers inclusively. So did you tried to use the triggers in the game, despite of the button mapping?

If it doesn't work, make sure that you have placed the x360ce.exe in the main folder of the game. Also there has to be the created files "xinput1_3.dll" and "x360ce.ini".
If this is OK, then remove the x360ce.ini from the folder (or rename it), but leave the "xinput1_3.dll" there.
Does the controller now still work if in the game? If the emulator works, it shouldn't.

phyrie

Post by phyrie »

I, too, bought Xpadder to play Assassin's Creed 2. I am a computer-only gamer, so this controller stuff is all new to me! I've managed to get the Xpadder working, but the camera on Stick 2 sucks. I can't follow Ezio at all, like I could with the mouse and WASD. I really am at a loss as to adjust this software. I tried the above emulator, but it keeps saying it's missing a file (MSVCR100.dll) and I should re-install the program. WHAT PROGRAM?! Surely not Assassin's Creed? The x360ce.exe comes complete in one .exe file, so I can't fix that. I am so confused, and becoming seriously irritated by my own ignorance.

What I want my Wireless Xbox 360 game controller to do is what the book says it should! I am clumsy enough learning how to make Ezio move with this controller, without losing the ability to follow him naturally with the camera. Is that asking too much?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

x360ce.com wrote:Troubleshooting

Application has failed to start because MSVCR100.dll was not found or x360ce config app is grayed out.

This is because Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package is missing. Please download and install "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)": http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... bf0912db84

Note: You MUST install x86, even for x64 systems!
A number games install this program automatically with it's own installation, so most "gamers" will have it already anyway.

Here is also something useful for Assassins Creed. The actual version of the emulator should not work anymore with these games, but you can use this older version.

phyrie

Post by phyrie »

Primal Fear wrote:
x360ce.com wrote:Troubleshooting

Application has failed to start because MSVCR100.dll was not found or x360ce config app is grayed out.

This is because Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package is missing. Please download and install "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)": http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... bf0912db84

Note: You MUST install x86, even for x64 systems!
A number games install this program automatically with it's own installation, so most "gamers" will have it already anyway.

Here is also something useful for Assassins Creed. The actual version of the emulator should not work anymore with these games, but you can use this older version.
This worked perfectly for me! It must have been the older version that did the trick. So, I didn't need Xpadder at all! Oh, well, I'll consider it a "donation" to free enterprise.

Return to “More questions”