Question about 8-way

F35 Pilot

Question about 8-way

Post by F35 Pilot »

I've posted before on here about using XPadder to fly jets on BF2, I've tried lots of settings and just wondered what 8-way actually does to the analog sticks?

May sound like a stupid question lol I'm using offical wired Xbox 360 pad, if it's set to standard/none on the stick its normal, if I set it to 8-way it's more responsive and faster, but I can still move it slowly for accuracy (but it requires more effort), I'm confused as to what the 8-way setting does, does it exaggerate diagonal movements?

I'm trying to set up the right stick (roll jet) so that I have 100% accuracy but so I can roll as responsively as possible while "rolling" the stick to the left/right.

So far the most accurate is the standard/none setting, and the fastest seems to be prioritize horizontal with a diagonal size of 89, 8-way seems to be in the middle.

The reason I'm asking about 8-way is because it feels weird, it sort of feels like the stick has more range- I can't explain it lol just want an explanation on what it's doing to the standard analog stick on the Xbox 360 pad thanks

rossharris121

Re: Question about 8-way

Post by rossharris121 »

are you worried about 8-way for the left stick for movement or the right stick for fps shooter looking. the 8 way works the 8 way works the same as the standard excpet when you push at a diagonal it will emulate the exact diaagonal assignement rather than a combination of the corresponding horizontal and vertical assignments. 8-way also does not mean 16 possible ways.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Question about 8-way

Post by Primal Fear »

Let's say, you have assigned standardly WASD on a stick.
With "normal" you will get for example a combination of A and W, if you push the stick diagonal to the upper left.
If you change now to "8-way", then on the diagonals will nothing be pressed. But you can assign something special on the diagonal directions, or you could assign WD, DS, SA and AW there to reach the same effect like with normal.

I recommend to open the Stick Settings by clicking on the tool symbol near this stick and then on "Settings",
and maybe Notepad with it. Change the mode settings there and look in the status picture and in Notepad for what is different.

Return to “More questions”