a way to switch profile with a button press

mike12aa

a way to switch profile with a button press

Post by mike12aa »

i've got the free version...

can the paid for version switch profile with a press of a button.

quite simply i find that the 8 set is not enough for games that have 2 set of controls. for example with STO, where there are different set of controls for space and ground combat.

i want to switch profile, with a press of a button. if the paid for version can do this, then all is well.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Re: a way to switch profile with a button press

Post by SGTCableDog »

Xpadder currently does not have a feature to assign a button to change sets. Buyers of Xpadder do have the ability to suggest and vote for FeatureX, the new major feature to be added to Xpadder after each new release.

My question is 8 sets are not enough in Star Trek Online? Take for example the Xbox360 controller, it has two sticks, two triggers, and 10 buttons. With eight sets that makes 80 possible different assignments. :shock: Even if you split in half for space and ground combat, that is 40 each, still alot.

You may work around this limitation by using Xpadders command line options and shortcuts in Windows quick launch bar to load profiles. Check out advanced starting in Xpadders help system.

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

One thing you can try, is make a shortcut of your profile you want to use (making sure it ends in .lnk). Then in Xpadder, set up the button you wish to "load profile ____", to do the sequence: "Winkey+R, pause 1.10 (shorter works, but this is for game mode, so you know that the Run dialog appears)" and follow this up with the LONG address for your file's location. Ie: "C:/Programs/Xpadder/Profiles/Profile1STo.lnk" with at least a .5 second pause between each letter of the address... followed by the "enter" key at the end of your sequence.

This SHOULD allow you to change profiles with a button press, and using the Run tool to open the profile for you as if you clicked on the profile in Xpadder yourself. Works for me, but I'm using Win XP SP3, so your results may vary.

Hope this helps.

mike11aa

Post by mike11aa »

to answer your question, sto uses 2 set of different control for ground and space combat.

lets say, you need
set1. ground control, normal button press
set2. ground, right trigger modifier button press
set3. ground, LT+
set4, ground LB+
set5, ground RB+
set6, ground, pov_left+
set7, ground, pov_right+

after this we'll need to have the same thing for the space controls.

also. if i were to uses the winkey+R method, wound that not force any game playing in full screen mode to minimise, if so i could have minise the game myself and use the mouse to switch profile.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Forgive my ignorance but I checked the STO web site and the online guide and it just shows the standard WASD keys for basic movement for both space and ground combat. There a few other random keys for crouch, swap weapons, throttle up and down, and pasue spacecraft crew while on away team. There are a number of trays for equipment and skills and spacecraft systems. The slots of the trays are numbered so I assume they are used by pressing its associated key. It looks like a majority of the user interface involves clicking various buttons with the mouse. I may be missing alot more, but it would appear from this list that two sets should be enough to make enough assignments for both ground and space commands.

Maybe its unclear what sets are? Sets are the key press and mouse movement assignments for each of the buttons and sticks of your controller. For each set you can one assignment for each button and stick direction. I don't know if I'm making any sense. :? Each set can have assignments for each button and stick direction. I'm sorry I can't seem to find the right words to explain it.
Hope this helped. I think I may have confused myseslf. I'm going to lay down. :twisted:

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

I think you might have a point... using the Run dialog might well minimize your game... unless you set up a "return to game and fullscreen" sequence on a button in the new profile. Though, it seems like that might be a lot of work to do...

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

If he puts the profile shortcut into the quick launch bar then the command will be winkey+(number in order as it appears in the list, i.e. first shortcut is number 1).

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! I never even thought about that! But it does work. Just Winkey+_ to open the profile you need. It's sloppy, it's messy, but it just might work!

Return to “More questions”