Lean Toggle - 360 Controller

squinky121

Lean Toggle - 360 Controller

Post by squinky121 »

Hello Folks,

Just wanted to ask a quick question.

I am playing F.E.A.R. and I am using the XBox 360 Controller. I am using left and right on the d-pad to toggle left lean and right lean.

My questions is this, is there a way to choose one or either, left lean / neutral / right lean.

Currently i have Xpadder setup with toggle either Q or E for lean left and lean right, but you can find yourself activating both leans at the same time. If it's possible i would like it to be moving between these three states rather than turning it on and remembering to turn it off again.

Thanks for any help and advice :)

Kloreep
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Lean Toggle - 360 Controller

Post by Kloreep »

I'm afraid I don't know of a way for assignments to influence other assignments toggles. (Maybe we can ask Jonathan for some advanced scripting options like that once the "Slot Machine" upgrade to Xpadder is in place. :))

The closest thing I can suggest is, if you can possibly spare a shoulder assignment (Right/Left buttons or a trigger), have it switch to a "while held" set that contains the lean controls. That way, it should cut off any toggles in the "while held" set when you release the set-switching button & thereby switch back to the main set.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I would suggest to do that like I did in my Stalker profile.

Edit: Or alternatively like in my Amnesia profile.

Edit2:
Kloreep wrote:The closest thing I can suggest is, if you can possibly spare a shoulder assignment (Right/Left buttons or a trigger), have it switch to a "while held" set that contains the lean controls. That way, it should cut off any toggles in the "while held" set when you release the set-switching button & thereby switch back to the main set.
That doesn't work. The toggle makes "two-way" out of "while held".
It would work to select "one-way" and to assign then in the destination Set the the button for lean left or right and the toggle. But that brings the problem that the toggle won't be activated with the first button press, but only after the second.

squinky121

Post by squinky121 »

Thanks for the replies.

I will give it another shot and see if I can come up with a solution :D

Kloreep
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Kloreep »

Primal Fear wrote:
Kloreep wrote:The closest thing I can suggest is, if you can possibly spare a shoulder assignment (Right/Left buttons or a trigger), have it switch to a "while held" set that contains the lean controls. That way, it should cut off any toggles in the "while held" set when you release the set-switching button & thereby switch back to the main set.
That doesn't work. The toggle makes "two-way" out of "while held".
It would work to select "one-way" and to assign then in the destination Set the the button for lean left or right and the toggle. But that brings the problem that the toggle won't be activated with the first button press, but only after the second.
Yes, that's why I said "contains" the lean controls. I was suggesting the same thing you describe, except with a while-held set instead of a one-way. (I tend to prefer while-held, that way you don't have to worry about forgetting which set you are in.) A single button wouldn't give you both left and right lean, anyhow. And you're right about the toggle changing the while-held state, didn't realize that set selection paid attention to/used the toggle option. No wonder Jonathan wants to overhaul the whole assignment system. :)

It's true that my suggested course makes it somewhat inconvenient to go into a lean, requiring two button presses, one of which has to be held. On the other hand, it does make it very quick (a button release, not even a button press) to get back out of the lean. Depending on the circumstances in which one uses lean in FEAR (don't know, haven't played) I imagine that's probably either very much the way one would want the profile to be, or very much not the way one would want it. :)

Return to “Other questions”