Half-Life 2, Episodes 1 & 2 (X360)

Share and discuss profiles
gorkypah

Half-Life 2, Episodes 1 & 2 (X360)

Post by gorkypah »

I created an Xpadder profile for Half-Life 2, Episodes 1 & 2 on the PC. The button layout is the same as Orange Box on the Xbox 360.

Controls:

Set 1:
Left Analog = Forward, Backward, Strafe Left, Strafe Right
Left Analog Button = Crouch
Right Analog = Look
Right Analog Button = Zoom
Start = Menu
Back = Move Squad
X = Use
A = Jump
B = Reload
Y = Flashlight
LT = Secondary Attack
RT = Primary Attack
LB = Sprint
RB = Toggle Gravity Gun/Last Weapon
D-Pad Up = Next Weapon
D-Pad Down = Previous Weapon
D-Pad Left = Last Weapon
D-Pad Right = Gravity Gun

Set 2 (Same as Set 1 except):
LT = Primary Attack
RT = Secondary Attack

Code: Select all

;--- Xpadder Profile Data ---
Version=2010.03.18
Name=Half-Life 2
Set1Button1Slots=Space
Set1Button2Slots=R
Set1Button3Slots=E
Set1Button4Slots=F
Set1Button5Slots=Left Shift
Set1Button5Toggle=1
Set1Button6Slots=G,CYCLE STOP,Q,CYCLE STOP
Set1Button7Slots=C
Set1Button8Slots=Escape
Set1Button9Slots=Left Control
Set1Button9Toggle=1
Set1Button10Slots=Z
Set1Button10Toggle=1
Set1DPadUpSlots=Mouse Wheel Down
Set1DPadRightSlots=G
Set1DPadDownSlots=Mouse Wheel Up
Set1DPadLeftSlots=Q
Set1Stick1UpSlots=W
Set1Stick1RightSlots=D
Set1Stick1DownSlots=S
Set1Stick1LeftSlots=A
Set1Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set1Stick2UpMouseSpeed=64
Set1Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick2RightMouseSpeed=64
Set1Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set1Stick2DownMouseSpeed=64
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set1Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=64
Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1TriggerRightSlots=Left Mouse Button (1)
Set2Button1Slots=Space
Set2Button2Slots=R
Set2Button3Slots=E
Set2Button4Slots=F
Set2Button5Slots=Left Shift
Set2Button5Toggle=1
Set2Button6Slots=G,CYCLE STOP,Q,CYCLE STOP
Set2Button7Slots=C
Set2Button8Slots=Escape
Set2Button9Slots=Left Control
Set2Button9Toggle=1
Set2Button10Slots=Z
Set2Button10Toggle=1
Set2DPadUpSlots=Mouse Wheel Down
Set2DPadRightSlots=G
Set2DPadDownSlots=Mouse Wheel Up
Set2DPadLeftSlots=Q
Set2Stick1UpSlots=W
Set2Stick1RightSlots=D
Set2Stick1DownSlots=S
Set2Stick1LeftSlots=A
Set2Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set2Stick2UpMouseSpeed=64
Set2Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set2Stick2RightMouseSpeed=64
Set2Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set2Stick2DownMouseSpeed=64
Set2Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set2Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=64
Set2TriggerLeftSlots=Left Mouse Button (1)
Set2TriggerRightSlots=Right Mouse Button (2)

gorkypah

Re: Half-Life 2, Episodes 1 & 2 (Xbox 360 Controller)

Post by gorkypah »

Just wondering if anybody has tried my HL2 profile and found it useful. Its based on the 360 layout.

Chr1s
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Chr1s »

Looks useful. I may try this out soon and report back. Thanks!

gorkypah

Post by gorkypah »

Sounds good. The only thing you might need to change in game is the mouse sensitivity if the analog sticks move too slow when you look.

vgarcia

Post by vgarcia »

All newer Source Games like HLEP1, HLEP2. TF2... have built in native 360 Controller Support. Even the weapon select GUI changes.

Bring up the console and type in exec 360controller
The script maps all actions to the controller buttons and axis exactly like on the a real xbox360 including tapping feature.

Post by Guest »

[quote="vgarcia"]All newer Source Games like HLEP1, HLEP2. TF2... have built in native 360 Controller Support. Even the weapon select GUI changes.

Bring up the console and type in [b]exec 360controller[/b]
The script maps all actions to the controller buttons and axis exactly like on the a real xbox360 including tapping feature.[/quote]

I knew about that. AFAIK only Episode 2 has native 360 controller support, but not HL2 or EP1. You can read about it here:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -TKCN-0831

gorkypah

Post by gorkypah »

vgarcia wrote:All newer Source Games like HLEP1, HLEP2. TF2... have built in native 360 Controller Support. Even the weapon select GUI changes.

Bring up the console and type in exec 360controller
The script maps all actions to the controller buttons and axis exactly like on the a real xbox360 including tapping feature.
I knew about that. AFAIK only Episode 2 has native 360 controller support, but not HL2 or EP1. You can read about it here:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -TKCN-0831

vgarcia

Post by vgarcia »

Since the last big update all games since hl2 are ported to the new source engine!
so the "exec 360controller" trick works on all of them! :D

now playing hl2 with native 360 controller support. but for some reason i can`t get rumble to work.
is there rumble in hl2ep2?

gorkypah

Post by gorkypah »

vgarcia wrote:Since the last big update all games since hl2 are ported to the new source engine!
so the "exec 360controller" trick works on all of them! :D

now playing hl2 with native 360 controller support. but for some reason i can`t get rumble to work.
is there rumble in hl2ep2?
thanks for the update. if they added 360 controller support then my profile isn't necessary.

mattg568

Post by mattg568 »

I think I'd prefer this profile rather than the built in support for the 360 controller. The thing I don't like about the built in 360 support, is that the controller can only control actual game play and nothing else. If you wanted to quicksave or load a quicksave, you'd have to use your keyboard to do that. You'd also have to use your keyboard and mouse to access the menus. This profile has the menu accessible by pressing start. Pressing start just pauses the game with the native support. The only thing I like about the native controller support is the left stick has analogue movement where as WASD is a single moving speed.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

It that better, or should left right back also have sprint?

Edit Removed Sprint from left stick
Edit2: Walking will only work with Garry's Mod, or after doing this:
Step 1: Activate the console.
Right click on the game in the Steam library->Properties->(General->)Set Launch Option... then type -console and click on OK.
Step2: Start the game and open the console
Type in the console hl2_walkspeed 100 and press Enter.

Edit3: Removed profile. Use instead the better solution here.
Last edited by Primal Fear on 07 Jun 2011, 11:51, edited 6 times in total.

mattg568

Post by mattg568 »

The 360 Orangebox had analogue (i.e. multiple walking speeds, I think) completely without the need of sprinting. Like, you could walk at a crawling speed, a medium walking speed and a high walking speed depending how far you pressed the left stick, as I said, analogue walking speeds. WASD on the other hand is completely digital, one walking speed. Of course, I could be completely wrong on this since it's been a long time since I had a 360. And it's been a while since I used a 360 pad on Half-Life 2.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Depending top this, the modifier key for walk is Alt. I have added Alt+direction key if the stick is pushed to less then 40% and Shift+W if the stick is pushed fully forward.

mattg568

Post by mattg568 »

I see Alt in the keyboard controls for walking slowly but I see no difference in walking speed when using it. Shift is not needed with maximum distance zone as sprinting in Half-Life 2 is a finite process and when your HEV suit runs out of aux power you have to wait for it to charge back up to sprint again. Half-Life 2 is different than most other FPS games in that shift is a special ability of your HEV suit whereas other FPS use shift to walk.

Edit: I am able to see (barely) a difference in walking speed using Alt.

Edit: Odd, there is a clear difference in normal walking with WASD and walking slowly using Alt+WASD in Garry's Mod. For some reason it doesn't seem to work the way it should in Half-Life 2. Alt is set for walking slowly and I've even tried to reset the keyboard controls but to no avail. Just to let you know, I'm testing this using my laptop's keyboard and not a 360 controller as I am currently without one until early June.

mattg568

Post by mattg568 »

On second thought, there is really no difference in walking speed with or without Alt. My guess, is that since Half-Life 2 is controller enabled, that the Alt key does nothing. Whereas Garry's Mod is not controller enabled and Alt does work in that.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Here is a solution for this, it is necessary to edit the autoexec.cfg.

mattg568

Post by mattg568 »

All that did was to toggle on/off sprint mode. Walking speed was the same as before. +speed is the bound command to activate shift "sprint mode" and -speed turns it off. You can test these commands in the developer console. +walk is what is mapped to Alt and yet it does nothing. If I rapidly tap alt while moving forward, I can see my weapon slightly twitch.

mattg568

Post by mattg568 »

I contacted steam support about how walking slow was not working and this is what they said:

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue. We are aware of the problem and are investigating the issue further. For news regarding the latest updates and patches, please check the SteamPowered News page: http://store.steampowered.com/news/ There is not a solution to this issue at this time. However, walking slowly is not necessary to complete these games.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Valve is funny, they are investigating this issue further. This game is how old? Also this modder Garry has fixed it, so at least he should know what the problem is. I would say they simply don't care anymore.

But generally, I think it's sad that it isn't possible to walk in so many actual games on PC.
Follow character A to place B, the NPC is walking and I can only "wait->run some steps->wait->run some steps->wait...". In that way it works without walking, but that destroys the whole atmosphere.

mattg568

Post by mattg568 »

I bet it was the source update (HL2 + EP1 running on HL2 EP2 engine) that broke the slow walk feature. Funny thing is, I've played through these games tons of times, yet I never knew about the Alt key.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I have played the demo and I have fixed this problem. The only stupid issue is that the foot steps aren't getting slower.
Either Valve lies or is completely incapable. I'm pretty sure it's the first one. :shifty:

BTW: The native support also has gruesome aiming, 8-way analog stick. :roll:

mattg568

Post by mattg568 »

I've got a bit of a problem. Weather or not that option in mouse to enable game pad is checked, HL2 will always run with the 360 controller. You can clearly see it in the dev console.

mattg568

Post by mattg568 »

I found a console command "exec undo360controller" but it's the same thing as unchecking the option in mouse to enable gamepad. It works sortof. It disables the analogue sticks but all other buttons are still mapped for use.

Edit: I'm really disappointed in Valve with the native 360 support. The option to enable the gamepad in mouse settings is pretty much an on/off for the sticks and the weapon select gui for the dpad. Leaving the option disabled, you still have control of the game with everything else and you have a shoddy weapon select mode for the dpad. So, in a sense, there is no way to fully disable 360 controller support.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I had this problem too. I've simply deleted the .cfg file that saves the input configs, to find under Steam\steamapps\"username"\half-life 2( demo)\hl2\cfg.
That causes that the 360pad isn't working completely, but it also seems to save progress of the game (and other setting which are a smaller problem). So I couldn't select directly the second level of the demo anymore.

mattg568

Post by mattg568 »

I tried deleting the config file but Half Life 2 would just recreate it. All that's in the config file for the 360 controller is stick settings. I don't think deleting the config file is needed. It would seem that there is no complete way to disable the native game pad support as weather or not that option in mouse is selected the buttons and triggers still work.

mattg568

Post by mattg568 »

Goody Goody!!! I found out how to abolish the game pad support for Half-Life2 and use xpadder with it perfectly. First, open the game. Go to the mouse settings and uncheck enable the gamepad. Then bring up the dev console and type unbindall and press enter. Go to keyboard settings and restore them to default. Now the 360 controller no longer controls the game what so ever. If you ever want to restore 360 controller support, just re-enable "enable the gamepad" in mouse settings and apply it.

By the way, the profile at the top works wonders! I made a slight modification to it though. I made start quicksave when pressed fast and quickload when you press start longer. For the back button I made it c quick pressed and Esc when long pressed. I did this using release zones and it works excellent.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

If deleting the file, the game should create a new standard file that has the gamepad support turned off. But maybe it's on by standard in the full version.

mattg568

Post by mattg568 »

Well, with the method I discovered you possibly don't have to delete the config file.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Yes, better then deleting unnecessary all saved settings.

mattg568

Post by mattg568 »

I've noticed a new feature with Half-Life 2 and Steam. It would seem to sync your save files with some server. Before, you would loose all of your saves if you either uninstalled the game or re-installed the OS. Now, every time you close the game, the Steam icon in the system tray animates and if you hover the mouse cursor over it, it says "syncing".

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Yes, that's it. Half Life 2 uses Valves cloud system for the save games, but the demo not. So if the config file for the demo is missing, it will create a new standard file. But if it is missing for the full version, it will download the last backup from the cloud.
It would be possible to deactivate Steam Cloud under Properties->Updates, but that would be another disadvantage of deleting this file.

mattg568

Post by mattg568 »

Would you believe that I can run Half-Life 2 with episodes 1 and 2 on my laptop that has an integrated Intel GPU? Specifically an Intel GMA X3100. It only says that on the wrist rest sticker. Everything else calls it Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family. There are hiccups at some places especially at the train bridge collapse at the beginning of episode 2. With the original 2007 display drivers, there was a display issue with the ground texture at your feet and close around you. It was either invisible or glitched. With the most up to date drivers it's normal. I am able to complete all 3 Half-Life 2 games. I've also got 5.1 out.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Actually not, with these physics effect. But if I look on the system requirement on Steam and believe them (which isn't a good idea for every game), then every DirectX 8.1 graphics chip should be enough.

Left4Dead also works really good on slower PC's, so I guess Valve is really good at optimizing codes. In every way they have enough time to do that, with the large financial buffer of Steam in the background. In my eyes is making games for them more a professional hobby then profit orientated, which is good for quality and new ideas (Portal, partially Left4Dead or the Gravity Gun in Half Life 2).

Return to “Game Profiles”