Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (X360)

Share and discuss profiles
matt

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (X360)

Post by matt »

Hi,

I'm new to Xpadder, so please accept my apologies if I'm treading on any toes... bought it as I still (like a lot of people) enjoy playing the older GTA games, and wanted some nice Xbox360 controller support. Tried Primal's configuration, and as good as it is I didn't get on too well with it, so have tried to build one from scratch. I've taken an alternative approach by setting the control method to joypad rather than keyboard/mouse, so the configuration seems a whole lot simpler. Anyway, controls in GTA:SA need to be set to:

Code: Select all

---------------------------------------------------------------
Foot
Fire                            LMB    JOY2
Next Weapon / Target            JOY6
Previous Weapon / Target        JOY5
Group Control Forward           Up
Group Control Back              Down
Conversation - No               Left
Conversation - Yes              Right
Forward                         W
Back                            A
Left                            S
Right                           D
Zoom In                         Z      JOY6
Zoom Out                        X      JOY5
Enter / Exit                    JOY4
Change Camera                   JOY7
Jump                            JOY3
Sprint                          JOY1
Aim Weapon                      RMB
Crouch                          JOY9
Action                          TAB
Walk                            LALT
Look Behind                     JOY10
Look Left                       NUM4
Look Right                      NUM6
Look Down                       NUM2
Look Up                         NUM8
Center Camera                   NUM.
Secondary Fire                  LCTRL

Vehicle
Fire                            JOY2
Secondary Fire                  JOY3
Acceleration                    LMB
Brake / Reverse                 RMB
Left                            A
Right                           D
Steer Forward / Down            S
Steer Backward / Up             W
Enter / Exit                    JOY4
Trip Skip                       Right
Next Radio Station              Up
Previous Radio Station          Down
User Track Skip                 /
Horn                            JOY9
Sub-Mission                     JOY10
Change Camera                   JOY7
Handbrake                       JOY1
Look Behind                     NUM0
Mouse Look                      NUM.
Look Left                       JOY5
Look Right                      JOY6
Special Ctrl Left               NUM4
Special Ctrl Right              NUM6
Special Ctrl Up                 NUM8
Special Ctrl Down               NUM2
Xpadder profile is:

;--- Xpadder Profile File ---
DataType=Profile
Version=2011.02.09

[Profile Settings]

[Set Settings]

[Assignments]
Set1Button8Slots=Escape
Set1DPadUpSlots=Arrow Up
Set1DPadRightSlots=Arrow Right
Set1DPadDownSlots=Arrow Down
Set1DPadLeftSlots=Arrow Left
Set1Stick2UpSlots=NumPad 8
Set1Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2RightSlots=NumPad 6
Set1Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2DownSlots=NumPad 2
Set1Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=NumPad 4
Set1Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32
Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1TriggerRightSlots=Left Mouse Button (1)
It's as faithful to the original Xbox controls as possible (as depicted on http://www.videogamebuttons.com/xbox/ga ... an_andreas). There are a couple of issues however...

1. Accelerator (right trigger) is digital, not analogue. Not sure if there's any way around this.

2. When cycling, you have to repeatedly press the trigger to sprint. This is almost impossible, and any workaround I've tried has messed something else up. If anyone has any suggestions for this, please let me know!

Enjoy - any questions or suggestions gratefully received.

matt

Re: GTA San Andreas - Alternative Configuration

Post by matt »

Forgot to point out some good bits though!

1. Hold left trigger to auto-target, and use left/right shoulder buttons to cycle through targets.
2. Shoulder buttons cycle through weapons when not holding left trigger.
3. Shoulder buttons are rudder etc. on aircraft, so flying works as it should.
4. When driving, shoulder buttons act as look left/right so can be used with fire (B) to perform drive-bys.

So really, it's all about getting the shoulder buttons to function properly.

But on the downside (although it may just be because I suck), the music games things (dancing, lowriders etc.) seem to be really difficult for some reason - it's almost as though the input lags a bit or is ignored. Also, as Primal pointed out, you can't unmap the D-pad from up/down/left/right, so using it for other purposes will also cause movement, albeit slight.

Oh, and one last downside (I think, have no save games at the moment so can't test right now) - you can't activate the sub-mission when in the Hydra because that button (right-stick click) is also mapped to raising/lowering the undercarriage.

duke

Post by duke »

Hi,

I have tried using this profile. I set all the key bindings as you described. The buttons and the left stick seem to do what they're supposed to but I can't get the triggers or the right stick to do anything. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Did you use the Xpadder Profile?
http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8

duke

Post by duke »

I'm pretty sure I did it right. I just need to select all and copy from the profile above and then paste it into Xpadder, right? I haven't had any trouble using profiles for other games, it just seems to be this one.

Doods

Post by Doods »

is there any chance that you and primal could collaborate on a profile. the button mapping of matts is perfect, although when moving the right stick it seems to move at 100% speed all the time. whereas primals speed is determined by how far you push the stick. in primals profile, when on foot, the camera doesnt chase the player, you have to manually move it just to get behind carl. also if there is a way to use the axis on the left trigger so that a half press would be free aim, and a full press is to lock on.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

@duke
I don't if you already do that, but it probably helps to run Xpadder as admin.

As an other possibility, I have a problem with this setting. I don't have these key bindings.

Look Left                       NUM4
Look Right                      NUM6
Look Down                       NUM2
Look Up                         NUM8
Center Camera                   NUM.
Secondary Fire                  LCTRL
So, I cannot bind these keys and the right stick won't work. Maybe you didn't recognize that they are for you also missing.
But that doesn't explain the problem with the sticks. I guess you should check all key binding, if it still doesn't work after running Xpadder as admin.
Edit: I have found the problem. To activate these key binding, I had to select Joypad under Options->Controller Setup->Configuration.

Doods wrote:although when moving the right stick it seems to move at 100% speed all the time. whereas primals speed is determined by how far you push the stick.
Matt has used buttons for look left, right, up, down. The benefit of that is that he can use the same buttons for the special controls of airplanes or helis. The big drawback is that the aiming is only digital.
I have used the mouse. So with my profile the aiming is analogue, but you have to hold right stick for the special controls.
To have both is simply not possible.
Doods wrote:in primals profile, when on foot, the camera doesnt chase the player, you have to manually move it just to get behind carl.
Actually I have now idea, how the profile or the key bindings could be a reason for that.
Doods wrote:also if there is a way to use the axis on the left trigger so that a half press would be free aim, and a full press is to lock on.
Well, it's already a good number of years back that I played the missions of this game. So... how to lock enemies?

matt

Post by matt »

Sorry for the lateness in replying to this thread, but thought I'd better reply to some of the points that have been raised...
Doods wrote:when moving the right stick it seems to move at 100% speed all the time
Yeah, that's because the right stick is simply mapped to button presses which are digital. The number of times you have to aim accurately in the game is minimal (unless you don't like/use auto-aim), so it didn't seem to me to be a problem.
Primal Fear wrote:I had to select Joypad under Options->Controller Setup->Configuration.
I did mention that in my original post :D
Primal Fear wrote:Matt has used buttons for look left, right, up, down. The benefit of that is that he can use the same buttons for the special controls of airplanes or helis. The big drawback is that the aiming is only digital.
Not true. Hold down the left trigger and the aiming is analogue if no targets are there. If it locks onto a target, use left/right shoulder buttons to cycle targets. Alternatively, just use the right stick to 'break' auto-aim and go back to manual/analogue.
Doods wrote:if there is a way to use the axis on the left trigger so that a half press would be free aim, and a full press is to lock on.
I don't think there is - there is only one key-binding for 'aim'. As I said above, my profile defaults to auto-aim, but if you then move the right stick it 'breaks' that and goes back to manual aim. Having played the game recently as an Xbox Live download on an Xbox360, the controls are pretty much identical to my profile - with the exception that cycling is easier and the right stick is obviously analogue. I don't think there is a 'perfect' solution, but both Primal Fear's profile and mine seem to be pretty darn close - it just depends which of the compromises you want to put up with as we've approached it from different directions.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

matt wrote:
Primal Fear wrote:Matt has used buttons for look left, right, up, down. The benefit of that is that he can use the same buttons for the special controls of airplanes or helis. The big drawback is that the aiming is only digital.
Not true. Hold down the left trigger and the aiming is analogue if no targets are there. If it locks onto a target, use left/right shoulder buttons to cycle targets. Alternatively, just use the right stick to 'break' auto-aim and go back to manual/analogue.
As the game doesn't detect input directly from the right stick of the xbox360pad, the only input are the Num keys 2, 4, 6 and 8. So there can be only on speed for looking around, no matter if you are zoomed in or not.

matt

Post by matt »

Primal Fear wrote:As the game doesn't detect input directly from the right stick of the xbox360pad, the only input are the Num keys 2, 4, 6 and 8. So there can be only on speed for looking around, no matter if you are zoomed in or not.
Sorry - get what you mean now. Thought you meant digital = auto-aim. Still not so sure it's that much of an issue when playing the game (yes, there were a couple of bits in the game where I switched to using the mouse to aim, such as defending Zero's rooftop), but then I'm just happy still being able to play GTA:SA - it's so much better than GTA4 IMHO.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

You can fix your cycling problem exactly as I did.
1.Change the key bindings Handbrake to Space and any unused key for Acceleration
2.Make a tap and hold assignment for A with the other key for Acceleration and Space.
If you shouldn't how how to make a tap and hold assignment, read this Tutorial or simply have a look in my profile.

matt

Post by matt »

Thanks for the suggestion, but it breaks other things - for example, doing the rapid alternate tapping of A+B in the gym to lift weights.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure there's no perfect answer... unfortunately.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

You also have to hold A to buy something in the shop, which isn't nice too.
Actually I would say cycling fast is more important than that, as you need it at the beginning of the game. On the other hand, after that you don't need it an more at all (except you prefer driving bicycle if you can drive motorcycle :roll:).

foxy_stoat

Re: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (X360)

Post by foxy_stoat »

Just a quick question from a reasonable newbie to Xpadder. I have copied everything exactly but I can't seem to answer the phone. Action is defined as TAB and I have copied the profile here. Am I being stupid?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

This key is not included in this profile. My profile has it, but I actually though it would be only to show the character statistics.

davis.s54

Post by davis.s54 »

Dude I appreciate this, I really do! :)

I have a question though - The controls on right thumbstick for aiming and moving camera are somehow inverted. Its really frustrating! Do you know how I can get rid of the invert?

I tried every setting I can think of in the menu. (IT shows invert all off) WHY WHY lol for real though, I can't play on invert. I don't know why this is happening....

Return to “Game Profiles”