Diablo III - some questions

Share and discuss profiles
cauli

Diablo III - some questions

Post by cauli »

First off let me say this isn't a fully functioning profile for Diablo III. I'm just playing about trying to see if it can be done in a satisfactory fashion.

I'd not played Diablo before this morning & am really disliking the point & click movement control system, so I figured I'd see if using one stick to emulate click/drag would work. It feels odd with normal mouse mode however spring works somewhat as expected. What is distracting is the pointer consequently jumping around. Can pointer visibility be toggled?

Any better ideas?

Code: Select all

;--- Xpadder Profile File ---
DataType=Profile
Version=2012.05.01

[Profile Settings]

[Set Settings]

[Assignments]
Set1Button1Slots=Left Shift
Set1Button2Slots=Escape
Set1Button3Slots=S
Set1Button4Slots=I
Set1Button5Slots=Left Mouse Button (1)
Set1Button6Slots=Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1Button7Slots=J
Set1Button8Slots=Tab
Set1Button9Slots=Z
Set1DPadUpSlots=3
Set1DPadRightSlots=2
Set1DPadDownSlots=4
Set1DPadLeftSlots=1
Set1Stick1UpSlots=Mouse Move Up,Left Mouse Button (1)
Set1Stick1UpMouseSpeed=255
Set1Stick1UpMouseMode=Spring
Set1Stick1RightSlots=Mouse Move Right,Left Mouse Button (1)
Set1Stick1RightMouseSpeed=255
Set1Stick1RightMouseMode=Spring
Set1Stick1DownSlots=Mouse Move Down,Left Mouse Button (1)
Set1Stick1DownMouseSpeed=255
Set1Stick1DownMouseMode=Spring
Set1Stick1LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left,Left Mouse Button (1)
Set1Stick1LeftMouseSpeed=255
Set1Stick1LeftMouseMode=Spring
Set1Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set1Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set1Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set1Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32
Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Q

jasonprete

Re: Diablo III - some questions

Post by jasonprete »

The only thing you need to do in order to use the joystick to walk instead of point and click is hold the mouse button. So, all you need to do is assign a key for left click such as your right trigger and hold it as you move your joystick which emulates mouse movement.

darkknight1085

Post by darkknight1085 »

i saw in the keybindings menu buttons that are not mapped for forward, back, left, and right. you can always map those in the game and in xpadder.

pjtaylor

Post by pjtaylor »

if you google "Diablo III with an X-Box Controller Revisit Using XPadder" you'll get a youtube video with good hints on how to configure wonderful xPadder for d3 ;)

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I have changed two things on the profile:
1.For the mouse assignment on the left stick I have added some mouse movement to make sure that the mouse pointer will go back to the center before holding the LMB (to not click on something of the user interface) and to recenter the mouse pointer absolutely reliably after releasing the stick.
2.I have massively lowered the Diagonal Zone in the Stick Settings for both sticks. This causes in my opinion in any way smoother mouse movement in the right stick, but especially for the mouse spring on the left stick it causes that the cursor won't jump at a specific bearing to a straight direction (0°, 90°, 180°, 270°).

;--- Xpadder Profile Data ---
DataType=Profile
Version=2012.05.01
Name=Diablo 3
Set1StickDiagonalSizes=89,80
Set1Button2Slots=Escape
Set1Button3Slots=S
Set1Button4Slots=I
Set1Button7Slots=J
Set1Button8Slots=Tab
Set1Button9Slots=Z
Set1DPadUpSlots=3
Set1DPadRightSlots=2
Set1DPadDownSlots=4
Set1DPadLeftSlots=1
Set1Stick1UpSlots=Mouse Move Up,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Up,Mouse Move Down,HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Mouse Move Up,Left Mouse Button (1),RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Left Mouse Button (1),Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick1RightSlots=Mouse Move Right,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right,HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Mouse Move Right,Left Mouse Button (1),RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Left Mouse Button (1),Mouse Move Right,Mouse Move Left
Set1Stick1DownSlots=Mouse Move Down,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Up,Mouse Move Down,HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Mouse Move Down,Left Mouse Button (1),RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Left Mouse Button (1),Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick1LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right,HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Mouse Move Left,Left Mouse Button (1),RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Left Mouse Button (1),Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right
Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Q
cauli wrote:What is distracting is the pointer consequently jumping around. Can pointer visibility be toggled?
If my second change doesn't fix that problem, please explain it more precisely and let me know what controller you use.

Edit:
Here also some suggestions:
1.I have changed the Dpad to 4way instead of standard and changed the assignments to tap and hold. So with tapping a Dpad direction you have still 1-4 and when holding a direction you have 5-8 (BTW: the arrangement of the quick launches isn't one that I would refer).
2.LMB on the right stick button, to click on menu entries, inventory items (including drag&drop), etc..
3.LMB with turbo on the right trigger (as already suggested by jasonprete), for attacking.

;--- Xpadder Profile Data ---
DataType=Profile
Version=2012.05.01
Name=Diablo3
Set1StickDiagonalSizes=89,80
Set1DPadMode=FourWay
Set1Button2Slots=Escape
Set1Button3Slots=S
Set1Button4Slots=I
Set1Button7Slots=J
Set1Button8Slots=Tab
Set1Button9Slots=Z
Set1Button10Slots=Left Mouse Button (1)
Set1DPadUpName=3/7
Set1DPadUpSlots=RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,3,RELEASE ZONE 0.30s,HOLD ZONE 0.30s,7,HOLD ZONE 0.10s
Set1DPadRightName=2/6
Set1DPadRightSlots=RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,2,RELEASE ZONE 0.30s,HOLD ZONE 0.30s,6,HOLD ZONE 0.10s
Set1DPadDownName=1/8
Set1DPadDownSlots=RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,4,RELEASE ZONE 0.30s,HOLD ZONE 0.30s,8,HOLD ZONE 0.10s
Set1DPadLeftName=1/5
Set1DPadLeftSlots=RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,1,RELEASE ZONE 0.30s,HOLD ZONE 0.30s,5,HOLD ZONE 0.10s
Set1Stick1UpSlots=Mouse Move Up,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Up,Mouse Move Down,HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Mouse Move Up,Left Mouse Button (1),RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick1RightSlots=Mouse Move Right,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right,HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Mouse Move Right,Left Mouse Button (1),RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Right,Mouse Move Left
Set1Stick1DownSlots=Mouse Move Down,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Up,Mouse Move Down,HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Mouse Move Down,Left Mouse Button (1),RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick1LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right,HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Mouse Move Left,Left Mouse Button (1),RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right
Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Q
Set1TriggerRightSlots=Left Mouse Button (1)
Set1TriggerRightTurbo=1

cauli

Post by cauli »

Thanks to all :) I'll experiment over the next few days & see if I can contribute any further improvements.

superbia

Post by superbia »

Hey guys, i'm now to xpadder, i just wondered how you were getting on, i'm not sure how to insert the code into xpadder to test what you've already done, love the game but wrecks my finger.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

How to download a profile
The profile menu is the one on the right side and you have to create the layout for your Xbox360pad first.

superbia

Post by superbia »

Nice one thank you, worked a treat.

ceadondifortu

Re: [New] Diablo III - some questions

Post by ceadondifortu »

Can someone explain, or point me to where it is explained, how to adjust the spring return point? It always pops me back just below my character causing my character to start running downwards. This is rarely the direction i want to go during the start of an engagement. I'd prefer something closer to center or slightly up.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Slightly under your character is the exact middle of the screen. This is the point where the mouse spring should return and it cannot be changed.

However your problem should a little bit different as the left mouse button should be release when the left stick reaches the DeadZone.
Click on the tool symbol near the left stick and then click on the entry "Settings...". Here you can see the current Status of this stick. The black dot is the current position and the red area is the DeadZone.
Now move the stick one after another in every diagonal direction and release it slowly. The stick position should return every time in the DeadZone. If not you can increase the DeadZone with the slider on the right side, if the deviation should be relatively small. But as this setting is saved in the profile you should load the Diablo3 profile before and save it after making these changes.

sgh667

Post by sgh667 »

Hi Primal Fear, Was wondering if you could optimize this profile to don´t click the ground under you char right away when you wish to move, by maybe adding a delay or something until the cursor is at the corner of the screen?
My problem is it makes it difficult to kite elites around in infernal when you char don´t move away with 100% guarantee all the time, but instead often choose to attack the mobs you wish to temporally escape. Another minor problem with this is that after the battle you often pick up one "left over white loot"

But thanks you all allot for this great tool and support. My own attempt at making a Diablo 3 profile still failed completely compared to this one :)
Last edited by sgh667 on 10 Jun 2012, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

My Diablo2 has such an optimization. Can you test it with Diablo3? If it works I can either implement this stick assignment to this profile here or make necessary changes on my Diablo2 profile to work perfectly with Diablo3.

sgh667

Post by sgh667 »

Thanks for the quick response. i Tried your Diablo 2 stick assignment and it seem to work very well without leaving a click mark right under you char every time you move from a stand still, but sadly only right, up and left works.
The Problem is that only a few places on the bottom edge of the screen trigger a move in Diablo 3 cause of the interface is in the way.

Any ideas?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

You mean if you move the stick directly completely down?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I have no fixed this problem. Not nice, but efficiently.
If you move to stick directly to more than 60%, Xpadder will now move the mouse cursor shortly to the left and start there to hold the mouse button. So your character will move shortly to the left and then down, but that reliably.
I have update profile in my post.

Return to “Game Profiles”