[HQ] Playstation 3 Image [FINAL]

Controller images that are universal, functional only or for detailed discussions
RandomClown

[HQ] Playstation 3 Image [FINAL]

Post by RandomClown »

• Playstation 3 Controller Image
This post is final & will not be edited unless necessary.

Last Updated: 2010.6.3

• Subversion Server:
I have a [SVN server] which contains my projects & stuff.
Case sensitive username: User

• Image Versions:
[Original 1436x883px PNG]
[Original 1450x964px PNG With Shoulder Buttons]
[BMP ready for Import]

• Current Images: [from above]

• About:
In this project, I attempt to take Photoshop CS4 to a whole new level. I learned a lot about Photoshop in just this 1 image.
I only used vector shapes & smart objects, so that I can scale it to any size nicely.
On those smart objects, I applied beveled/contour effects, most with a unique light map.
I also used a black inner glow to simulate the side of the controller curving out of sight.

Unfortunately in the end, Photoshop treated the smart objects as raster images, making it non scalable.
Apparently smart objects are treated as raster images if it is nested in another smart object. Lesson learned.
:x

-------

I also have a site for my controller images: [HoRC @ SourceForge]

-------

Hope you guys like it. Please comment [like or dislike] so I know if you even noticed this thread.
Last edited by RandomClown on 04 Jun 2010, 02:31, edited 9 times in total.

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Playstation 3 Image

Post by Terra Branford »

That's pretty amazing man. Though I hope that it scales down well when imported to Xpadder.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

It nice but there is already a Playstation controller image. Jon is trying to keep the image database small so I don't think he will want to have a copy of the same controller. Also your going to have to scale that down a lot before it can be used in Xpadder.

Chr1s
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Chr1s »

The picture looks really nice. It's good to have a non-copyrighted alternative to the photographs available.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

Chr1s wrote:The picture looks really nice. It's good to have a non-copytighted alternative to the photographs available.
actually I wouldn't doubt that thats copyright infringement right there. He is using the PS3 logo which no doubt is copyrighted. He also uses the dualshock 3 name and USB logo. They are all copyrighted i'm sure. lol just wanted to point that out.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Wikipedia wrote:Copyright applies to any expressible form of an idea or information that is substantive and discrete and fixed in a medium.
I think you are mean trademarked. Chr1s was talking about something being copytighted which is something completely different.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

oh i didn't know copyright actually meant just an idea or information. I thought anything could be copyrighted. Anyway i would bet that there is some type of infringement occurring with the image. Not that it really matters. We wouldn't keep it out of the database for that.

RandomClown

Post by RandomClown »

The original I made layers of vectors, so it takes a bit of effort to enlarge/reduce.
I learned a lot for my 1st controller, so I promise the next will be jaw dropping.

=======

lol BTW There is the scaled down version.
Notice I put 3 links, the originals & the "import" version, which is scaled & bitmap.

The 1st one is hosted by me while the import version is hosted by some file host. <edit>I stopped using them & moved to SourceForge completely</edit>
BTW I hate all those "MegaInsertWordHere" & "MediaInsertWordHere" sites. they are annoying to hell with all their download obfuscating, delaying, & caps. Got files to host? Are they project related? Consider SourceForge..

=======

BTW: Isnt a photograph, the versions we currently have, also violation the terms & agreement of the PS company? [from my understanding, its as much a violation as the image I drew]

& if I was the company of PlayStation, I wouldnt b♥tch about these things, since it draws more people to buy controllers from them [more uses of controllers make people want it more]. This is the only reason I bought my PS3 controller, computer gaming. :D
Last edited by RandomClown on 13 Jan 2010, 02:24, edited 2 times in total.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

Yeah i'm sure the database of images we already have are in conflict with some agreement lol. Thats why i mentioned we wouldn't keep it out of the database for that reason. it certainly is a nice image but again we already have a PS3 controller image. If you make one that we don't have and it's in enough demand i'm sure Jon with add it to the database.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

I'm not a lawyer but as long as you don't use a trademark and claim it as your own and use it in a product that competes with the trademark holders product then you should be safe. Many manufacturers manuals will use the Windows logo which is trademarked by Microsoft but usually includes a disclaimer with the owner of the trademark named. Many companies offer a media kit with the trademark available in electronic form for use by third parties. They want to make sure the trademark appears how they want it to. As long as you don't use it negatively then it should be seen as free advertising.

Disclaimer: Any views experssed here are those of the poster only. It is not meant to provide legal protection. You are advised to seek legal counsul. If swelling occurs or fever lasts more than 24 hours seek medical attention imidiately. Offer not valid in New York. Virginia reader must include sales tax. Poster is not a member of any over-seas banking organizations. Your results may vary. Please allow six to eight weeks for delivery. Claims are based on equal highway and city driving. All trademarks are property of their respectful owners.

I still don't know what copytight is. ;)

Chr1s
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Chr1s »

SGT's post highlights a massive problem facing the developed world. The average person just doesn't understand intellectual property law.

Anyway, I sincerely doubt that anyone would get in trouble for hosting a picture of a controller, let alone a drawn representation of one. We could probably claim fair use for these. I'd like to think I know more about copyright than the average person, but again, I'm no IP lawyer, so take this with a grain of salt.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

i was going to mention the whole legal thing when that one contributer wanted jon to remove images he made but i didnt want to add fuel to the fire

RandomClown

Post by RandomClown »

lol same..dont know what copytight means either... I try to not read too deep into the confusing stuff.
but anywho, I guess I'm fine then, since I did say it was "PlayStation" & didnt claim the device/logos as my own.

=======

I was planning on doing the 360 controller next, but before that...

Anyone have a request for something that is not up yet?

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

I just downloaded this and my request would be triggers and magenta background for transparency. Only if you want. :D

jmroon

Post by jmroon »

Wow. That looks absolutely incredible. Good work. :D

RandomClown

Post by RandomClown »

SGTCableDog ...triggers and magenta background for transparency.

The background image has transparency?
I didnt know that. I will do that when I wake up. [up late]

As for the triggers....I thought I was missing something..
I will get on that. XD

SGTCableDog
I like everything I buy/download done well, so I make sure to produce quality images too.

cara.di42

Post by cara.di42 »

here's one I made along with my settings

contains .bmp, .xpaddercontroller and .psd
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/900056/Xpadder/PS3.zip

for individual files:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/900056/Xpadder/index.html

these will sync whenever I save my version btw.

RandomClown

Post by RandomClown »

Well, there is the newest version of the controller in my 1st post.
Includes the shoulders for who like shoulders.

As for transparency, I dont think that will look too good.
Some edges are smooth, so I dont think the transparent color will work well.

RandomClown

Post by RandomClown »

Well here is mine:

Personally I dont like having buttons floating in the air, so I am keeping my old version.
The newest version DOES have the shoulder buttons floating in the air.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Based on the copyright and quality issues raised in this topic I am attempting to start a user-made "database" of images. Basically posts just like this one but for other controllers. Much like web design there are others out there (and in this topic) who are far better qualified to upload a controller image than me.

Return to “Pro Designers”