in advanced options of key mapping nothing registers from the keyboard

livepoolfc1

in advanced options of key mapping nothing registers from the keyboard

Post by livepoolfc1 »

whenever i type anything in intending to put a pause before it inputs it, it seems to not register and acts asif nothing was pressed. PLEASE HELP!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :evil:
Last edited by livepoolfc1 on 24 Dec 2010, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Re: in advanced options of key mapping nothing registers from the keypad

Post by SGTCableDog »

Let me see if I understand. Are you trying to make an assignment of; [pause .1s][a]. And when you press the button nothing happens?

livepoolfc1

Post by livepoolfc1 »

whenever i try to do advanced mapping in xpadder it doesn't register that i have pressed any keys on the keyboard. :x :x :x :x :evil:

Kloreep
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Kloreep »

Hmm, strange. Two things I can recommend:

1) Try clicking on the empty slot to make sure Xpadder is focused on the right part of the window, then pressing the key.
2) If 1) doesn't work, note that you can use the graphical keyboard (the "basic" assignment window, which stays open when in advanced assignment) to input keys in the advanced window. Again, it can be necessary to first click on the slot to re-establish focus there if you've been doing other things.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

It would seem that either the Assignment window or the Advanced Assignment window must have focus for it to accept input. If the main Xpadder window gains focus then the assignment windows no longer accepts input.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I have currently noticed, that I have that problem while the keyboard test of Xpadder is running or if I have Microsoft keyboard diagnostics running. I seems like they keep away the keyboard input from Xpadder while open.
If you have neither Xpadders keyboard test or any other keyboard test software in use while using Xpadder I would guess on an keylogger (a Trojan Horse). :?:

Edit: I was wrong, Microsoft Key Diagnostics doesn't make any problems. So this could also be an Xpadder internal problem with the keyboard test. That makes my idea with the key logger less likely.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Primal Fear wrote:I have currently noticed, that I have that problem while the keyboard test of Xpadder is running or if I have Microsoft keyboard diagnostics running. I seems like they keep away the keyboard input from Xpadder while open.
If you have neither Xpadders keyboard test or any other keyboard test software in use while using Xpadder I would guess on an keylogger (a Trojan Horse). :?:

Edit: I was wrong, Microsoft Key Diagnostics doesn't make any problems. So this could also be an Xpadder internal problem with the keyboard test. That makes my idea with the key logger less likely.
The keyboard test issue is a bug which I've added to the Bugs forum in its own topic. However, it may not be the reason for the current issue.

Some technical info about keyreading for those interested:
Text/Images: Show
When you press a key windows sends that code to the current active window.
However, any program can read this key if it is designed to constantly check the state of the keyboard, regardless of whether the program is currently in focus. For example, pressing the Windows key will open the start menu even when the desktop is not active. Windows is checking this key all the time. Xpadder does a similar thing with gamepad inputs - it is checking all the time even when it is not in focus.
Reading a key in one program does not hide it from other specially designed keyreading programs.
The bug report I have created in a new topic is an exception and only effects Xpadder - Windows and programs generally do not prevent keys from being invisible to all other running programs or other parts of themselves.

livepoolfc1

Post by livepoolfc1 »

Kloreep wrote:Hmm, strange. Two things I can recommend:

1) Try clicking on the empty slot to make sure Xpadder is focused on the right part of the window, then pressing the key.
2) If 1) doesn't work, note that you can use the graphical keyboard (the "basic" assignment window, which stays open when in advanced assignment) to input keys in the advanced window. Again, it can be necessary to first click on the slot to re-establish focus there if you've been doing other things.
this does not work either. it was a good idea though

livepoolfc1

Post by livepoolfc1 »

SGTCableDog wrote:Let me see if I understand. Are you trying to make an assignment of; [pause .1s][a]. And when you press the button nothing happens?
this is correct

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: in advanced options of key mapping nothing registers from the keyboard

Post by Primal Fear »

And the keyboard in the Assignment Window works?

livepoolfc1

Post by livepoolfc1 »

Primal Fear wrote:I have currently noticed, that I have that problem while the keyboard test of Xpadder is running or if I have Microsoft keyboard diagnostics running. I seems like they keep away the keyboard input from Xpadder while open.

thx it turns out i have had gta running and was preventing it from registering the keyboard. problem solved as soon as i closed and restarted my computer.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I don't know if you read my post I have deleted later because I couldn't figure out which game caused that the keyboard input wasn't detected anymore. I thought it wouldn't be reproducible, so I dropped this idea.

The only game I have played lately and didn't tried out was "GTA4: The Lost and the Damned" because I didn't made a profile for it yet. But this seems to be the exact reason why I have decided to do it later. Normally I Alt-Tab out of the game for every step while making a profile, so I can try out the new assignments directly.
It was really late when I started this game the first time, so I cannot remember that good. :lol:

Edit: The Keyboard Test of Xpadder detects that a unknown key that will be hold all the time while the game is running. So the reason is, that Xpadder cannot detect the pressed key correctly since the game causes to send the for Xpadder unknown key code FF (255). I think that this is strange, since Xpadder doesn't detect emulated input like from itself or the On-Screen Keyboard of Window. So how can the game send a non emulated input?
OK, except it has installed a virtual keyboard driver but I would have been recognized that. :?

Edit2: If I disable the Steam Ingame UI (and I need to, since it opens repeatedly without pressing the button for it while driving :x) it sends F8 all the time and it will still be hold after closing th game.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Solution :mrgreen: : This is caused by the CD key information of the Steam Ingame UI and can occur with every Steam game that has a CD-key. To make sure that this will not happen again, simply open the Ingame UI after starting the game and activate the checkbox to not show this information again. Then quit the game and restart your PC (because most time the keycode was still pressed after closing the game).

Next times everything will work fine with this game in background, but for other games it is necessary for every game individually.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Problem solved :)

I have moved this topic to the Help forum

Return to “Other questions”